weight questions

LandShark

Established Member
has anyone started looking at weight balancing f/r? I have started looking at some numbers on moving closer to 50/50. Specifically, has anyone moved the stock battery to the trunk or tried a carbon fiber or lightweight hood? Also, I read where the AJE coilovers and K arm reduce 130 lbs, is this the front end only or does this affect the rear (i know im ignorant!)? Am really looking for weight distribution tricks, not just weight loss.

Thanks,
LS

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Hood is already light weight. Fiberglass or some kind of composite material. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Havn't weighed the 03 specifically, but these things are really nose heavy.
If you are serious in doing this, you are going to be talking some pretty dramatic mods to get close to a 50/50 split.
You would be better served spending $ on real mods to overcome the deficiencies in the suspension than to correct the weight bias.

Brian

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
It is really hard if not impossible to get this platform to a 50/50 split. You can improve the front rear balance by lessening the nose weight of the vehicle by going with lighter components, removing unnecessary components and relocated the battery to the trunk. Lighter components are very expensive like the SHM hood is suppose to be somewhere around 40-50 pounds lighter, but costs something like 1,400. Going with a coil-over, tubular k-member, and LCA will dramatically reduce the weight specifically the on the front and at the same time if done correctly yield substantial performance improvement. I haven't heard about AJE which is not a good thing and wouldn't buy their system after looking at there site. It looks like it is primarily designed for drag racing so if going straight is your objective a 50/50 split is not as much a big deal. If you are serious about suspension work then take a look at Griggs and Maximum Motorsports they are the best choice for quality, reliability, and handling.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Just a fyi.
On my 95 R (Again, I havn't weighed the 03 and am not sure how good of a comparison it is), but after a full Griggs suspension including the K-member, stripping the interior, moving the battery to the trunk, and adding a roll cage, it is at a 56/44% split.
You end up making the car handle with spring rates and suspension adjustment, not ideal but about as good as we are going to get while keeping the car somewhat intact.

Brian

Cobra-R

Established Member
BTW: the 56/44 split was with a full tank of fuel 22 gal fuel cell) and me in the seat.

LandShark

Established Member
Thanks for the input. Will begin working on some of this and let you know how it goes.

LS

btw.. Here is where i started. Published 57/43 split. Move battery to trunk -36/+36. Fill w/ gas -0/+95. Coilovers and Tubular K arm -130/+0. Front end needs to lose another 200 lbs to go 50/50. With just these changes it goes to 53%/47% without driver.

Last edited:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Going to a tubular front K member also helps the weight distribution by extending the front axle line forward about an inch.

Obviously, if you don't care, removing the A/C components really helps.

Users who are viewing this thread