Weight on rear axle....Is it to limit wheel hop?

MyZinc03

Established Member
I put a flomaster cat-back on my car and had to take off that weight that is bolted to the middle of the rear axle because one of the pipes would not clear it. Anyone know what this weight is for. I drove my car after removing it and noticed no vibration at any speed. I did not go over 100 though. Here is what I did notice. My wheel hop issue has gotten worse. If I floor it at about 20 mph in first, the car will start to break lose at about 5krpm. At this point the hop is worse than it was before. There is another factor here though. At the same time I removed the weight I also checked my tire pressure. Found all tires to be at 28 psi so I bumped them all to 32 psi. I know this will make the hop worse but not sure how much. The real point to this thread is to find out what that weight is for and if it really would limit wheel hop.

hwystr

Established Member
The pinion damper dampens driveshaft vibrations due to driveshaft imbalance and run-out. Some cars may get by without the damper (if they have low imbalance and run-out) others less fortunate will have vibrations/moans set-off at different speeds - there is only one way to find out how your car will react.:thumbsup:

Snoker

Established Member
I also removed the differential dampner upon installation of my flowmaster system. Did same with 01 Cobra I had. I no vib eproblems with either. I have the dampner stored in a box in my garage. Saved me from having to loose another 7.5 pounds.

However, I am seriously considering a carbon fiber driveshaft. Pricey, but less drvetrain weight and supposedly a much better balanced shaft.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I removed mine last night and did not notice any vibration or wheel hop difference this morning. That little weight is heavy for its size btw the bolts are 9/16.

Users who are viewing this thread