Weight difference between a base model and GT Premium

Loosescrews

Established Member
I have a '11 GT Premium fully loaded and read somewhere that a base 5.0 (no options) is nearly 200 pounds lighter. That is huge if this is true. What do you say?

5.0jake

Established Member
It's possible, but unless you're professionally competing with the car, does 200lbs really matter?

Lighter weight is always better for performance positively effecting acceleration, handling, braking...
I think 200 lbs is pretty substantial. I can always feel a difference with or without an adult passenger.

Anyway, I don't think it's 200lbs but more like 50ish tops.
I'd think the lightest would be the base brembo since it doesn't have the full tire and spare. That is if the brembo 19' wheels are even lighter than the base 18's?:shrug:

The heaviest would be the premium auto vert or the premium auto with glass roof I'd assume

Last edited:

5lho

Established Member
200 pounds is pushing it. Maybe 100. My bloat-load '12 with everything but the glass roof, is about 3650 with 1/2 a tank. Even the base seats carry all the airbag crap, etc. The car base still has PS, PW, PM, AC, PL so, it ain't a stripposaurus like you you used to be able to buy.

5.0jake

Established Member
200 pounds is pushing it. Maybe 100. My bloat-load '12 with everything but the glass roof, is about 3650 with 1/2 a tank. Even the base seats carry all the airbag crap, etc. The car base still has PS, PW, PM, AC, PL so, it ain't a stripposaurus like you you used to be able to buy.

From what I could find the base manual is 3605. Not sure about the brembo?
So yeah about a 45-50lbs difference.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Lighter weight is always better for performance positively effecting acceleration, handling, braking...
I think 200 lbs is pretty substantial. I can always feel a difference with or without an adult passenger.

Anyway, I don't think it's 200lbs but more like 50ish tops.
I'd think the lightest would be the base brembo since it doesn't have the full tire and spare. That is if the brembo 19' wheels are even lighter than the base 18's?:shrug:

The heaviest would be the premium auto vert or the premium auto with glass roof I'd assume

Ok, that is all fine and well, but for a street car, does it really matter? No, not really unless you are illegally competing on the street.

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
I read somewhere on here can't remember the thread but there's a guy who claims his base gt weighed in at 3490lbs. Didn't catch how much gas in the tank but he stated he weighs 265lbs and with him in the car it weighed 3755lbs.

malibu78

Established Member
I have a '11 GT Premium fully loaded and read somewhere that a base 5.0 (no options) is nearly 200 pounds lighter. That is huge if this is true. What do you say?

The shipping weight on my base model 2012 GT was 3473. It has manual seats, clothe interior, etc, and its a 6m.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I read somewhere on here can't remember the thread but there's a guy who claims his base gt weighed in at 3490lbs. Didn't catch how much gas in the tank but he stated he weighs 265lbs and with him in the car it weighed 3755lbs.

That was me and I went back and reweighed yesterday to verify, I was 100lbs to light. The car with 1/2 tank of gas, spare tire, jack, BONE STOCK M6 was 3565, I corrected myself on the other thread as well. My car is a 13' also.

5ohpowa

Established Member
The 3490 sounds believeable. I weighed mine on the scales at m.i.r. with me in it and it read 3690. Im 180 of that i dont remember how much gas,..not alot lol. My car is a base with manual seats no options m6 2013 gt. Bte my girlfriends mom has a 2011 premium non brembo her car was like 38** with me in it with about a half tank if i recall correctly

Davey

Established Member
I took the valve stem caps of mine... Gained a few 10ths. For illegal street competitions, you know.

But seriously I would be surprised if the "base premium" with just leather and such added more than 100 lbs... If even that. Adding from there the sub, navi, the big 19" boat anchor wheels, and all that, maybe I'd buy 200 lbs. if Ford told me that, but that sure seems like a lot. It's not like the base car has crank windows and a racing seat or anything.

5ohpowa

Established Member
i know the base full manual seat it alot lighter the the premiums heated leather seats. her car also had sat nav/sync and the shaker system with the big door subwoofers. i know hers had the strut tower brace also. between that stuff i wouldnt think thats a ton of weight but every little bit adds up. maybe the nicer cars have more sound deadener? idk i used the same scale both times

acrbill

Established Member
I had a base and now a premium 2011. At a minimum here are the differences.

19" wheels and tires.
Premium stereo with door subs and amps
Leather seats
Dual power seats (my car is optioned this way)
seat heaters
strut bar

I suppose it depends on your priorities. If you are more concerned with putting that 11.9 vs. 12.1 in your sig then it may make the difference.

I for one love the shit out of my premium vs. my base model.

Overtorqued

Established Member
I put mine on my scales. It's a '12 base GT, manual trans, no options added other than front plate bracket. With a *full* tank of gas and everything in the car such as spare tire, jack, etc, the total weight was 3608 lbs.

There's about 100 lbs of gas there, and the spare with jack weighs about 40 lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread