Weighed my car at the track last week...

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
3,648 lbs!!!

That's with about a 1/8th of a tank of gas, me in the car and my spare, jack and tire iron in my garage (about 32 lbs).

Without me, helmet, some misc. junk (183 lbs) the car is 3,465 by itself with 1/8th tank gas and no spare, jack or tire iron. So, that doesn't seem so bad since the factory weight of my car is supposed to be 3,560 lbs.

Some of the mods I have done have actually added some weight:
roll bar... 30 to 40 lbs
front rims and tires are 10lbs heavier each than my stockers
rear rims and tires are 15 lbs heavier each than my stockers

One pound of extra weight of a rotating cylinder is essentially equal to two pounds of static mass, in terms of absorbing the energy output of motor. So my extra 50 lbs of rims and tires is the same as if I had my stock rims on and a 100 lb weight in my trunk. I know my rims and tires are slowing me down, but I like them. If I was all about low drag times I would have bought some lightweight rear rims and some skinnies for up front. But low ETs just aren't important enough to me to either sacrifice handling, or to flat out buy a second set of rims for the track. I like running at the track what I run on the street, and I love the grip and handling of my wide front rims and tires.

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting to finally know the weight of my car and thought I would share... ;-)

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
3648 is damn respectible for a vert.

Hell my 03 Cobra coupe with me in it was 3745!! And I'm not a heavy guy. Me with clothing on and helmet I probably weigh 145 on a good day.

I'd like to get my car down to about 3400 wet with the IRS still on-board. I think with aftermarket seats, lightweight hood/wheels (track use) along with the drop in weight from aftermarket parts like exhaust, drive shaft etc. that I should be able to get it pretty close.

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
Yeah, I'd like to drop it down another 100 or so pounds. In the next week or so I will be buying an aluminum driveshaft, then down the road get some light seats, dynabat battery and tubular K-member. But I want to keep all of my creature comforts as well as a functional back seat.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I'm with you on that one. I like having my back seat functional. I don't often have people back there but it's nice to know that I can cart 3 friends with me.

However I'm seriously debating putting a harness bar in teh car with a 5 point harness system and new seats. If that bar makes it nearly impossible to get in the back seat I might as well take it out...

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
My roll bar came with a removable harness bar. With it in I tried to get into the back seat with the top up... Let's just say that if someone was watching me, I am sure that they got a good laugh :-D

So, I just drive around with it out.

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
johnjib said:
How much do you lose w/removing the irs for a solid and aluminum driveshaft?

I have heard various #s for the IRS to solid swap, anywhere from 80 to 100 lbs. Those numbers seem to make sense with my current weight, factory weight and then with the mods that I have added (some lost weight, some gained weight).

snake bite 03

damn i thought the verts were alot heaiver than the coupes, my 01 with a 1/2 tank me, the spare and jack came in at 3,550.

johnjib

Little '99 SVT
Established Member
I weighed at 3550 w/out me in it. That was w/out the jack, tire, and such. I have the styling bar and the blower so I have some weight. I did mine at a tuck stop. Don't know how accurate it was.

01trublue cobra

Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
where did you get yours weighed
I used one of those truck wieghing stations on the 15 north when I went to vegas last november. I had a half tank of gas and I would think the car wieghs more now with the blower, piping and intercooler.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
01trublue cobra said:
I used one of those truck wieghing stations on the 15 north when I went to vegas last november. I had a half tank of gas and I would think the car wieghs more now with the blower, piping and intercooler.
Those can be off 200lbs or so. Even when certified that is the general range of error on a scale used to weigh 50-100k lbs. Just food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread