Weekend Drag strip pics

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
A few guys from my car club took advantage of the nice weather we had on Saturday and enjoyed a Test and Tune at a local 1000' track. It was 82 degrees at the track so nobody ran anything amazing, but it was my first trip to the track with the Shelby so it was a learning day for me anyway. Had a great time with the guys. Hopefully one of many! :beer:

IMG_0512_zpsf5d6d2d6.jpg

DSC_2809_zps82c73912.jpg

DSC_2814_zpsd730a756.jpg

DSC_2776_zps8f0d932f.jpg

DSC_2807_zpsc87b596f.jpg

DSC_2815_zpse24da6c9.jpg

DSC_2822_zps0b464ae9.jpg

DSC_2961aaa_zps0e734ea0.jpg

DSC_2847_zps7642fdf5.jpg

DSC_2945_zpsb4e67727.jpg

DSC_2978_zps1a9734ec.jpg

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
That's what it's all about, having fun

We had the roll race event saturday and I also went to with my local club:

20130316_154904_zpsa5ec58dd.jpg

dotmpeg

Established Member
Looks like fun. Btw how tall are you? Seat looks very close to steering wheel.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I see the GoPro, please post that video!

The GoPro was new too so I was experimenting with resolution and fps settings as well. The sound is crappy and I'm not happy with the video but I plan on tinkering with it a bit tonight to see what's going on. I can't get the vids to preview without bogging and getting choppy. I may have recorded it at too high a performance level for my computer or something.

Looks like fun. Btw how tall are you? Seat looks very close to steering wheel.

:lol: I've always pushed my seat up close to the steering wheel since my autocrossing and road racing days. I'm 5'8" though, if it matters.

railroad

Established Member
Throw out some details on launching. I know you had to experiment while you had the track time.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Throw out some details on launching. I know you had to experiment while you had the track time.

I didn't get as much info as I'd have liked. I was only able to stay for 3 hours, and it was an almost 2 hr drive to get there so after the cool down I only got 6 runs in. I was bogging a lot at first, thinking 3200 would be fine on a poorly prepped track.

My first run was launched at 3200, tire psi was stock. Very poor 60'. The other 5 runs I dropped the psi to 25 and started to up the rpm launch a little at a time. On the last 2 runs I started to get a little tire squeal instead of a bog and I began getting 2.0 60's. My last launch was at 3900 and was my best run.

Looking back on it I think I was hitting 2nd gear too hard. I got the 2nd gear grind on my very first pass so I slowed the shift down a bit after that with better results. I still think I should have slowed the shift down even more because I think my low mph in the 1/8 was due to wheel spin when hitting 2nd. My buddy in the blue Shelby seen in the pictures said he was squeezing into second instead of slamming it and he ran really well. He was 7-8mph faster than me at the 1/8th mile mark. He has swapped a '13 blower onto his car, Lund Tune, TB, and JLT CAI and ran a 9.7 to my 9.9. He also managed a 1.8 60'.

Here's my lousy first pass. Before anyone wastes time commenting on the RT I was not bothering with the tree at this TNT. I was more interested in seeing how the rev limiter was working and trying to figure out how to "let out the clutch fast but not fast" lol. You can see the car bog badly, then I get 2nd gear grind, then spin once I get it back into gear, and finally just granny into 3rd just to get the horror show over and done with. :lol:

My first pass has always been an ugly ride anytime I've ever been to the track.

2013 Shelby GT500 First Track Day (3/16/13) - Run 1 on Vimeo

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
This was my second pass ever in the Shelby. I was trying to concentrate on what launch mode I was in and forgot all about it being a pro tree. Check out my sweet Pro skills: Windows down, late at the tree, and bogged the launch. Could have been worse though...I guess.

Check out the long ass 1st gear. He is almost already in third by the time I'm going into 2nd. lol

Shelby GT500 Practice - Run 2 on Vimeo

railroad

Established Member
Thanks for posting and giving a heads up on your launching. I could see the SVT red line light on the burn out, but did not see it on the shifts. It sounded like, no traction. Was that mode 8 or 7?

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Thanks for posting and giving a heads up on your launching. I could see the SVT red line light on the burn out, but did not see it on the shifts. It sounded like, no traction. Was that mode 8 or 7?
I have my SVT light on all the time. If you set the shift notification for a light, SVT will shut off until the designated rpm. If you set the notification for the tone, the SVT light stays on all the time. I like it on at night. I don't have my shift notification on at all.

I bogged the launch, which is why you see it stumble. That's what I sixty'd so poorly on this particular run. That was in Mode 7. You can see me put it back into sport mode after the burnout.

Users who are viewing this thread