We want details, Dean!!!!!!!

Cobra-R

Established Member
Ok, Dean
Tell us how Gingermann was today. I see you are online, so tell us how the new R did, and the old driver. :)

Brian

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
LOL. Sorry I didn't post last night because I was trying to clean up my emails and respond to those threads. I didn't even see this till this morning. Oh well, on to the track stuff. This is going to be long.

The day started off very foggy. The first session you actually had to have your lights on and you really couldn't see what was coming up. Of course everyone took it pretty easy. I only went out for a few laps because it really wasn't doing me any good to be out there since you really couldn't pick up any landmarks to help learn the track. I was also getting a real weird noise coming from the rear of the car. I only heard it when I would corner fairly hard. After checking everything out, I figured it was the rubber bushings that are possibly a little dry. After a good thrashing the noise would stop but start up again on the next session. It's a little distracting but I'm sure that it is not a big problem. I may check the torque on the upper control arms since I had them disconnected for the exhaust fiasco.

The in-car instruction didn't pan out because a lack of instructors. I had a couple of friends there that had been to the track before so I figured that the other guys needed it more than I. I wish we could have taken riders but I had to do a lead and follow to pick up the correct lines. My friend with a 944 Turbo wasn't real happy that I could keep up with him considering that this was my first time on the track. The next session he got ticked off because I actually pulled away from him. LOL The 944 would really put some distance on me in the tight stuff but everywhere else I just ate him up. He is not the most experienced driver so take it with a grain of salt.

The second and third sessions went really well. Gingerman is a very tight course with a lot of technical corners. There were a few corners that I don't think I ever got a handle on. The torque on the R is just unbelievable so coming out of some of the tight corners was a blast. I didn't have as much of a problem keeping the rear end in check as I thought I might. Later on in the day when the track got really hot, there were a few times when I could get the rear end to brake loose but it really wasn't a problem. I really need to get track tires for next year though.

Now for the not so good thing. On the 4th session, I noticed the engine missing at anything above 5000 rpms. It acted like it was starving for fuel. I had filled up in the morning and I knew that I had plenty of gas. I pulled in the pits and checked if there was a vacuum when I release the gas cap. There was not. I had the tank down a few weeks ago and I was afraid that I possibly smashed a vent line or something. This same problem had happened to me once before on my way up to Chicago for a car show. It all of a sudden started sputtering but luckly we were at a exit with a gas station. I put some fuel injector cleaner in it, filled it up and it ran fine the rest of the trip. I had only put about 8 gallons in it to fill it up. I did the same thing at the track and it ran fine the next couple of sessions. Then it started to do it again. By the time I got home, I couldn't accelerate past 3000 rpms without it sputtering. I have close to 1600 miles on it but the only time this happens is when it is very hot and humid. When I get home tonight, I will take it out and see if it does the same thing. It's still really hot here but the engine will be relatively cool.

I have a month to figure it out. The problem will be if it only happens under certain circumstances because it will be really tough to figure out. I'll start with the fuel filter and go from there. Since it sat around for so long, it's hard telling what it could be.

Last edited:

kevin

well, at least you can put one more track on your resume.

hope ya figure ou the missing problem, maybe bad gas or too low of an octane. you're gonna need the throttle at ra. hehe

why wait till next yr for track tires? start with ra in sept.

glad ya had fun and got home safe.

kevin

i labal track costs such as tires as insurance. it makes the car safer, thus keeping you (the hubby) safe. if her argument is "then don't do it". then tell her you need balance in your life. does she want you to come home frustrated and unbalanced? works for me.

i'll tell ya the whole story at ra.

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
She is actually being pretty cool about the whole thing. If I absolutely wanted to get tires, I could. I really want to put in a rollbar, seats and harnesses in this winter so I don't want to push my luck.

If I use my head, I can be safe with the tires that I have. No, I won't be as fast, but I still can have a helluva lot of fun.

kevin

well at least it sounds like ya got your head screwed on straight. seems your priorities are straight.

dean, look in the private. i got an answer for ya awhile back.

Users who are viewing this thread