We need a Ford version of the "Big Bang Theory"

watman02

Established Member
Hey guys here is a link to the origonal article
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-1109-stock-gm-ls-engine-big-bang-theory/

I have a Mach1 and have done the Eaton swap and it is a unwritten rule that 450hp is all the rods and pistons will take of course some ppl make more and other fail at less but I would really like to know what they can really take. Like the article above did. Gap the stock rings put in new bearings if needed good head gaskets stud the heads and gap the plugs, change cams for all I care and throw boost at it! all you see now is junk yard 4.8/5.3 making big power on boost in all manner of cars(alot of Fox bodys) and living! what would a 4.6 4v (NOT THE COBRA MOTOR) take? or 3v make at say 20psi with stock internals? i really think M&FF or somebody should do an article on this! Hell even one with a new 5.0 would be awesome to see. I really feel this article would could do for the mod motor what it did for the LS engine. I never saw as many high HP cars with stock internals as there are now After that article came out. they have hypertetnic pistons and cast rods just like us! why cant we make as much power?
Just my 2 cents I guess

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
go look at the Hellion Hellraiser setups.. on an 03 Cobra they made 1188 hp and 1016 ft lbs torque to the ground, all they did to the engine was O ring the block..

watman02

Established Member
wow that's impressive! I would still like to see what a non Cobra engine could do.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
what would a 4.6 4v (NOT THE COBRA MOTOR) take

Lol one thread in. I assume you mean 03-04+ cobras with forged assemblies.

Are the 99-01 cobra, Mach 1, Navi, etc rotating assemblies the same as the 2V? If so there's probably a lot more info if you include GTs. There are a lot of factors coming into play with this, tune being paramount. Then you have to think about the power adder. You figure a 500rwhp NO2 car vs 500rwhp eaton cars see different stresses to make the same whp due to the parasitic lose from the blower. There's many way more qualified people than me to address this though topic though.

I would love to see some people chime in who ran higher HP on a stock nonforged rotating and their set up. Should be interesting Good Luck with your search.

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
H&S did it with the 6.7L powerstroke.

[youtube_browser]cHwSGignzgY[/youtube_browser]

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
H&S did it with the 6.7L powerstroke.

[youtube_browser]cHwSGignzgY[/youtube_browser]

Didnt they do it with a Dodge, Chevy and a newer Ford diesel? I remember watching the Chevy 2500 last to something over 1000whp before it finally let go. That was on 2 kits of nitrous and a bunch of boost. Insane what they put them through.

Users who are viewing this thread