we have a problem.

joec

Established Member
So I got into my car today and backed up about 4 feet and alas, i hear a huge POP sound, and I no longer have power steering, and my power brakes aren't working. I pull back into my parking spot, shut the car off, get out, and notice a HUGE amount of red fluid all over the ground! Car runs fine, just no power steering or brakes. OK guys, has this ever happened to you & what's the problem? I haven't had a chance to look at it, because I had to go straight to work, so i'm assuming it's a hose or two? But why would both my power steering and brakes be out?

Redtop1980

Cobra Freak
Established Member
The power brakes are assisted by the power steering pump I believe. Just my guess...Didn't say what you have.

joec

Established Member
update; it's finally light outside so i had a chance to look at things a bit. all the fluid is coming down in a steady stream right underneith the engine, it's dripping down off the front sway bar (i don't have any means to jack up my car right now, so it's just looking under it from the side).

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Because of the huge heads there isn't enough room for a traditional power brake booster. In order to get pressure the brake booster uses the power steering pump. It sounds to me like you had a line bust, causing loss of steering and brakes. Go to a junkyard and get replacement lines. The system should be the same for all modular 94-04's.

joec

Established Member
is that a DIY project? Because I just moved to an apartment complex and 1) i don't have MANY tools, and B) i have no jackstands or anything of that nature.

or should i just pay for someone to do it?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
If you don't have any tools and can't get a friend or someone to loan you some you don't have a choice but to have it worked on.

Users who are viewing this thread