We Found the Last Contour SVT Ever Built | On the Lift at Livernois Motorsports

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
The Chrysler K-Car is famous for probably being the biggest pile of shit in history. Even the 24 Hrs of LeMons had one that people tried to keep running over the years with abysmal reliability. They eventually threw it off a cliff about a month ago in Alaska. It was videoed on 1320 videos(look for the American Flag painted wagon).
(named worst lemons car of all time)

SVT put lipstick on a pig. No matter how much you pretty it up its still shit underneath. Horrible cars with just terrible quality control which lead to draining the owners pockets the minute something went wrong. Technicians hated them for good reason even if it tried to make them money.
Being fair, Chrysler itself was a giant turd back then. Let's give credit where credit is due and spread it throughout the entire brand!

The SHO and CSVT were some of the most crowded engine bays I have ever seen. Those were still good times in terms of being an enthusiast though.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Being fair, Chrysler itself was a giant turd back then. Let's give credit where credit is due and spread it throughout the entire brand!

The SHO and CSVT were some of the most crowded engine bays I have ever seen. Those were still good times in terms of being an enthusiast though.

The V8 SHO was pretty bad.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Some more SVT Contour knowledge to add. Here is some information on 3 of the PPG and Roush built SVT Contours that were the pace cars for CART back in the 90's-00's:

As much as i dislike the car it is very interesting to see the modifications done to the car for it to pace the field during CART races. Also, wonder what Roush did to the one in terms of modifications as i know they needed to have some extra scoot to get in front of the field when directed.

SixPak

Established Member
I had a buddy in HS that drove around a 5 speed, 4 cylinder Contour. Wasn't a bad car until the timing belt let loose and piston to valve contact ensued. I want to say it probably had 80 or 90k on the odometer at the time.

As far as the worst quality car, you must never have dealt with a first gen DSM. Good Lord those things were piles of shit.

Also, they were mostly gone by the time I got my license but I recall the K cars being absolutely terrible for quality as well.
IMG_4467.gif

Did Somebody Mention K CARS . . . . . ?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
View attachment 1818302

Did Somebody Mention K CARS . . . . . ?
The funny thing is that some of them were pretty fast with the turbocharged engine! I assume they really fell apart fast.

To keep the Contour discussion alive, a guy I know actually got a wrecked Contour and made a trailer of it identical to back half of his car. Unfortunately his car was not an SVT Contour but he did put a 3.0L DOHC out of a Taurus in it. He was a little nutty about Contours for some reason.

Also, NOT photoshopped. I've seen it in person.
Joe barnes contour and trailer.jpg

Barnes trailer.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread