We Built This City (No We Didn't)

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
That is fabulous. I hope this is enough to take him down, this nation might not survive another 4 years of him. More added to the national debt during his administration than by ALL preceding presidents. Nice. It's $15 TRILLION + and climbing every day.

Last edited:

Slow99x

Established Member
The roads that Emperor Obama was talking about were actually built to connect towns that were already built by private citizens. These towns had stores and farms that were built way before any roads were put in.

The only thing worse than Obama is the idiots that support him.

jleews6

Established Member
The sad reality is that there is so many people that believe what this guy says that he will be in for another four years.
We all better hope and pray that this country can hang on for that four years without going bankrupt.
Just go on you tube and watch some of the video's of some of the states that they have run into the ground. Chicago and Detroit are two of them. Scary stuff !

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
So spread the video around. Share it on Facebook and local car sites. Find other similar ones and do the same. Clearly the media is choosing to ignore what is one of the greatest political gaffes of all time, so someone has to put it on the table.

We should really be having this debate and getting people to engage in thought about the philosophical differences between being a government centered nation and an individual centered one.

The truth is, it wasn't a gaffe at all because it's what he really thinks, and despite the "out of context" dismissals, in context it's much, much worse. The full context of his comments indicate that he honestly believes that if you take two equally smart, equally hard working people, the one that succeeds doesn't do so because he was "just so smart" (remember, he is always struck by that). They succeed because they are better at taking advantage of the gifts bestowed upon the populace by the government. Everything he lists, teachers, roads, bridges, etc are government products, society outside be damned. I really can't imagine a more condescending concept, and certainly no more condescending way to put it.

He also misses the point that the roads, bridges and teachers he references are, in fact, paid for by the people. I was not aware of an opposition movement that says all this should be free or paid for exclusively by the poor (and we'll ignore the fact that transfer payments to the bottom 50% wildly exceed revenues collected from them). We elect these people to represent us, who write laws that sometimes include taxes, and with these taxes we've consented to, we build these aforementioned items.

This is big stuff. Europe is exhibit A for how easy it is to reverse the trend once you've dug in the social democratic welfare state. If we're interested in a nation that inexorably grows the central government and diminishes the individual, that's fine. I don't think most Americans are, and I don't think it matters what income level you're at. There's a lot of guys busting their ass for the dream today that may not make it, but they'd rather take the chance than not have it.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
I laughed almost as hard as the first time I head BHO spit those words out. Motivated me to send money to Mitt, even though I wish we had someone else to run.

Barry is a jackass.

E

tristateZ28Lt1

Established Member
I laughed my ass off. The truth sucks doesn't it KB.

LOL I'm not a democrat by any means but it seems like the Fox 5 propaganda has worked wonders. This quote is taken completely out of context therefore changing the meaning entirely. But hey, who cares right? Let's stay uneducated and believe whatever Fox 5 shoves down your throat :nonono: :nonono:
The Romney campaign has gone out of its way to obscure that missing context, without which there’s no way to properly evaluate Obama’s comments. Sometimes it can border on absurd: When the campaign released video of Obama’s remarks, it used a single sentence on loop rather than include even a few seconds more of his speech that might undermine its attack.
Funny (or really sad) thing about this is that Romney has similar viewpoints and mentioned it in his speeches.

Here is the entire Obama quote and its message is very true:

"If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet. The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

Last edited:

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Read and respond to the post 3 above yours. In the full context, the quote is even more damning, rather than being exculpatory.

tristateZ28Lt1

Established Member
Read and respond to the post 3 above yours. In the full context, the quote is even more damning, rather than being exculpatory.

Lol I read that no worries. There's interpretation and then there's reading between lines for things that aren't there - that's the latter.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Sure wish there was a way he'd just disappear.

The only president if I saw him in person I'd walk past him just like any other person. Now who should be able to say that in The United States of America?

I actually just lie'd. I'd ask him if he'd take $100 if I could punch him in the face lol.

Freakin pitiful!

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Lol I read that no worries. There's interpretation and then there's reading between lines for things that aren't there - that's the latter.

How so? Read the EXACT words of the preceding portion YOU left out. There is absolutely no other logical interpretation.

Users who are viewing this thread