We are not the only ones

AssPikle

Established Member
So I am on this site tonight looking to find a way to make myself feel better about having to change out my irs housing last week for a bad pinion bearing and I found this:

[ame=http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41742]so i think i broke a cv joint - Camaro Forum - 2009 Camaro / 2010 Camaro / New Camaro SS Z28 Forums - Camaro5.com[/ame]

at this site:

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) - Page 2 - Camaro Forum - 2009 Camaro / 2010 Camaro / New Camaro SS Z28 Forums - Camaro5.com

Aparently, the new Camaro's are having some serious issues with their rears breaking. In fact some are breaking tranny's too. Mostly stock cars also. They are having other issues also.

After reading some of these threads, I sure do feel a lot better about my cobra.

ReCoil

Let it eat!
Established Member
camarosux.gif

That one cracked me up.. Good to know that they can "restore faith" by just slapping on more of the same crap shafts that broke in the first place.. Seems like all car companies are doing now is slapping together junk and the only thing reliable anymore is the fact you'll get bent over on the price tag!

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
That sucks for camaro owners, I guess Chevy doesn't have their act together after all.

NO offense but what does a faulty device from a supplier have to do with the manufacturer of the car? It seems as though the problems are stemming from bad boots/cv joints mostly...I didn't see any broken shafts yet and the grenaded pumpkin is the first one I've seen. Look at many of the people already running 10's & 11's without problems. I personally know of 3 people that broke half shafts or broke a pinion on their 03/04 cobra's but I don't blame Ford. I quite possibly could be a bad batch also, which is why some have had a problem and other's haven't. Head tick anyone?

Either way, it's the dealers choice to fix/replace the item. What information they decide to relay to GM is what determines whether they warranty or not...same goes for Ford. I had a tranny go out at the track on my 00 GT, one dealership wouldn't warranty it, but another did. Don't let your brand loyalty blind you, it happens to all companies.

CobraMac

Established Member
NO offense but what does a faulty device from a supplier have to do with the manufacturer of the car? It seems as though the problems are stemming from bad boots/cv joints mostly...I didn't see any broken shafts yet and the grenaded pumpkin is the first one I've seen. Look at many of the people already running 10's & 11's without problems. I personally know of 3 people that broke half shafts or broke a pinion on their 03/04 cobra's but I don't blame Ford. I quite possibly could be a bad batch also, which is why some have had a problem and other's haven't. Head tick anyone?

Either way, it's the dealers choice to fix/replace the item. What information they decide to relay to GM is what determines whether they warranty or not...same goes for Ford. I had a tranny go out at the track on my 00 GT, one dealership wouldn't warranty it, but another did. Don't let your brand loyalty blind you, it happens to all companies.

They are blaming chevy because they decided to put the parts on the car even though they probably knew they weren't that tough. Talk to any Ford rep when our cars started this and they would tell you that they knew the rear ends weren't the most durable things on our cars. So therefor I DO blame Ford for putting those parts on our cars

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
They are blaming chevy because they decided to put the parts on the car even though they probably knew they weren't that tough. Talk to any Ford rep when our cars started this and they would tell you that they knew the rear ends weren't the most durable things on our cars. So therefor I DO blame Ford for putting those parts on our cars

That makes absolutely no sense. No vehicle is guaranteed not to break, no matter how much or which of the best parts you have put on it. Both GM & Ford created a vehicle with specific values in mind and decided to work from there. "Any Ford Rep" would tell you that once you begin to add wider/stickier tires, repeatedly drop the clutch and/or powershift any vehicle it is on borrowed time. GM has been putting IRS's in cars now for over 45 years and with that each new model presents it's own problems but for the most part they have it down to a science. As far as the "toughness" of a product, that can vary from one batch to another and supplier to supplier. Who knows whether some of the cars aren't having problems may have the same part from a different batch or perhaps GM had to switch suppliers during the run due to problems. Both manufacturers released the cars with the parts to meet the requirements in mind, that's why there is a warranty. Once you begin to modify/race the vehicle you void said warranty and you are on your own unless perhaps attending a sponsored meet.

In any case, abusing a vehicle and expecting it to last is like playing russian roulette...and expecting Ford to fix afterwards is idiotic and doesn't make any sense business wise. You can blame Ford all you want, but hey you're the one making the payment and still fixing the vehicle.

AssPikle

Established Member
If you read most of the posts on this forum, they mention a lot of issues that make me think that GM has not made huge strides in quality like I had thought. Intersting read I thought and makes me feel better about my Cobra. They even have a/c drains getting cogged and leaking water on the floorboards, in a brand new car.

Gix1k4

Established Member

GM (or Ford or Dodge for that matter) are the ones that are responsible for the specs of these parts....But what it really boils down to is, whatever supplier that gives the best price is what will likely end up on the car.

A sad but true fact these days....

96redvette

god my car is slow
Established Member
the only trans problem was a bad batch of t6060 transmissions (about 5000) that are being recalled because of a manufacturing defect in the main and countershafts.... not strong enough? its the same trans thats in the ZR1

LaserRed94

Established Member
the only trans problem was a bad batch of t6060 transmissions (about 5000) that are being recalled because of a manufacturing defect in the main and countershafts.... not strong enough? its the same trans thats in the ZR1

The Corvette is a lot lighter which plays a big role when it comes to breaking parts.

Users who are viewing this thread