WC T5 3rd/4th gear noise

dk5_cobra

Established Member
So I have a supposedly rebuilt world class t5 in a 4 cylinder volvo 240 that I just swapped and is supposed to be getting a turbo soon once I get this issue sorted. (posted here because who is going to be more knowledgeable that fox people on t5 stuff)

trans shifts buttery smooth and is great all around, except when coasting with the car in 3rd or 4th gear. its 100% gear noise but this is a new situation for me. give it gas, and it goes away. I will go ahead and say that the car has a solid mounted crossmember, a poly trans mount, and stock rubber motor mounts. I'm tempted to put some poly motor mounts in it just to eliminate any chance that its the mix of materials causing binding somewhere but I'm really not sure on this one. Input shaft bearing is shimmed within spec (I pulled it and verified before installing)

I know what good t5s feel like because my 302 79 cobra mustang has one and its excellent (that car has poly motor/trans/crossmember mounts

I'm used to t5s either failing catastrophically, being noisy in 1-3rd gears, or just simply grinding.

Users who are viewing this thread