Waxing Black! Keeping swirls out. How???

jrscobra

blank
Established Member
My 08 California Special has a spot on the hood from the factory that looks like it was hit with a buffer at the plant. i know it didnt happen at the dealership, as I watched it come off the truck and to my garage.

Being black, I know keeping swirls out is hard. I see so many on our used car lot at work that have been butchered.

Our body shop has assured me that they have a new pad and some compound that is made for black. They keep telling me they can get it out without the swirl marks. What do you guys think? I dont want to screw it up. Theres nothing worse looking than a swirled black car.

Thanks for any advice.

jaime

jrscobra

blank
Established Member
I just found the Autogeek.net info below this post. Im going to watch, and try to do this on my own. Im a bit nervous using a power anything on this car, but what the heck.

we'll see wha thappens. Maybe I can try it on a car at work first.

danponjican

Established Member
Read a bunch and then just go for it! Start with a PC or better yet UDM... you almost have to TRY to damage your paint with one of those. Very safe.

STG

Banned
There is no such thing as "a pad for black." Anybody who tells you that shouldn't touch your car.:dancenana:

Post a picture of the defect taken IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT.

Last edited:

keblmo

Banned
if you want to get the swirls outta black this is what you gotta do!
piss off your girlfriend (wife)
buff on it for a day in the garage and back it out into the sun and find that it looks like ass
be an ass to everyone around for at 1 day
buy a bunch of shit you dont need
stay up until wee hours of the morn trying to read up on forums and detailing sites
let this problem consume your every thought
and then maybe they will come out!

or

you could call scott at smp and find out how to really get them out and avoid all the steps i just told you to take!i did and it worked out for the best

cobrapark053-1.jpg

cobrapark051-1.jpg

but heres some of the stuff i used
cobradetail020-1.jpg

brandon01stang

I would say go for it. I used to work at a body shop and we had the same thing and our three stage buffing worked very well but we also had a two stage. Just depending on how much the paint was faded or whatever but also we would osalate the cars to afterwards to hide the swirls and smaller scratches. But the last stage in buffing was the swirl remover and ours was blue pad and it worked great so i would say go for it

MoreBoostPlease

Lifted and Boosted
Established Member
Using the proper wash and dry technique is what keeps swirls away. If you want to be 100% anal, use a foam gun such as a Gilmour, then also use the 2 bucket method, both with grit guards(1 has water with soap, the other has clean water). Use a high quality wash mitt. Use a high quality soap. Wash top to bottom, stopping after each panel to run the mitt over the grit guard in the clean water bucket. Have a different mitt just for the wheels. After rinsing I use an electric leaf blower followed by a high quality microfiber towel to dry the car.

Everyone has a different opinion of what looks best on black, but the first step is removing the swirls through polishing, then adding a sealant or a glaze/nuba combo. Once complete, using a proper wash technique will keep the majority of swirls away, but remember, black is a b*tch to keep looking good.

Users who are viewing this thread