Waxes/Sealants & LSP

greyhd

Established Member
I decided to keep the polishes and waxes in separate threads. What waxes/sealants or LSP is everyone using or recommend to use for protection. My cars are kept outdoors and will need to do this quite often. Thank you again.

M91196

Established Member
Reload is what I have been using for my coated and non coated vehicles.
Also use Hydro2 on wheels and may just use that going forward on all surfaces.

Imatk

Established Member
DG105 (Duragloss) is the most weatherproof LSP I've used and I've used probably all of them.

I strongly believe DG105 is Zanio All in One with a much cheaper price tag.

Collinite is another good brand for durability for outdoor cars... but in my experience doesn't last as long as the 105

Merlinii

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
Established Member
LSP's have 3 main categories. Waxes, Sealants and Coatings.

WAXES:
Waxes have been around since the 1st Ford Model T
IIRC Meguiars was originally in the furniture polish business & switched to making wax for the model T
Waxes are usually made from the carnauba plant. There are also Montan (brown coal) wax variations.
Usually there is a "Looks" vs. "Longevity" in various waxes as well as ease of application and removal.
I have some "show car" waxes that look like "a pool of calm water on black" & they last about a week.
Waxes can be hard or soft and there are various claims about the carnuaba content in different waxes.

SEALANTS:
These are called synthetic wax. E.G. Meguiars Ultimate Wax is actually a sealant there is no wax in it.
Sealants take 12-24 hours to cure after application in order for the polymers to cure & bond correctly.
Some of sealants (depending on the manufacturer) can be layers after 8 hours for additional coats.
You should not let the paint surface get wet for a 12-24 hour period after a sealant is applied.
Here a just a few... Reload, Hydro2, Zaino Z-2 with ZFX, 4 Star UPP, OBSSSSD Paint Sealant etc.
I'm sure I've missed a couple of favorites... Adams paint sealant, DG105, Blackfire & the list goes on.

The Rule...
You can put a wax on top of a sealant but you should not put a sealant on top of a wax.
Reason...Longevity (and looks) . Some products do look great with a wax layered on top of a sealant.

What it comes down to is...the the Look and Durability that "you" like. The "look" is subjective.

Different paint colors look better with different LSP products.
Dark/black I prefer a product that offers depth and warmth.
For white and light colors I prefer bright, sparkle and shiny.

COATINGS:
These are relatively new on the market. There were only a few then copy cats popped up all over.
I have been doing Cquartz coating for quite a while and they are pretty stand up on their claims.
Recently, I've seem coating vendors setting the hood on fire, offering a lifetime warranty etc.
Coatings are not a bulletproof LSP. They can get scratched from poor washing practices etc.
IMHO A quality coating layer applied to your paint should lasts years not weeks or months.
If you like to do the Mr. Miyagi WOWO on your paint, then a ceramic coating is not for you.

hoamskilet

Established Member
If your cars are kept outside, I would strongly suggest looking into doing a coating of some sort

paulyboy928

Established Member
I would definitely look into a coating if I were you, OP. As far as waxes and sealants ONLY go, Collinite 845 is a fantastic wax for the price, and Sonax polymer netsheild is an awesome sealant. Water freaking hates Sonas PNS.

Users who are viewing this thread