Waterless Coolant

Ryan427

Established Member
Just have a quick question, probably has been asked a million times (I only looked back to page 7). Is anyone using evans waterless coolant? are there any other brands? is there an advantage? what does it take to change over? I have a complete rebuild and new radiator getting ready to put in so I just want to know my options. thanks

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The Evans coolant is some pretty neat stuff. Being waterless it can operate in a much larger temperature range and can get very hot before it boils. However; it is not compatible with any off the shelf coolant, it's very expensive, and you're never going to see it in a store (have to plan ahead for a cooling system failure).

The only way I would consider running it would be if I were in your situation, starting with a clean/dry cooling system.

I would steer you towards one of the more commercially available ELCs (extended life coolant), some of which have a 750,000 mile change interval. Many are good choices, and they were chiefly designed to survive and thrive in high heat producing diesels. I like Shells coolants. I have used their regular ELC and just bought a case of their Ultra ELC. The Ultra is the latest design, which is more robust and contains more aggressive corrosion inhibitors. It was designed for the new emissions diesels that contain a lot of aluminum, and run hot due to copious amounts of EGR.

In my mind, the biggest advantage of an ELC is the elimination of silicate in the formulation. The silicate in Ford's previous coolants had a tendency to precipitate out and become and abrasive in the system, leading to failed hoses/seals and clogged oil coolers.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
cant remember if its here or modular fords but one of them has a "the cooling info thread" or something along those lines that discusses that, high flow water pumps etc

Ryan427

Established Member
Alright thanks, I was just wanting to prevent corrosion as much as possible. I don't think I'm going to have any over heating problems

oldmodman

Established Member
Sid, I looked all over Los Angeles for the Shell Ultra ELC that you liked in the last coolant thread and could not find it.

Any suggestions?

I would prefer to switch from the Ford Gold Extended coolant on my next change. Especially after those "grit" pictures you posted.

There are no "truck stops" in Los Angeles to try and find it in.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Sid, I looked all over Los Angeles for the Shell Ultra ELC that you liked in the last coolant thread and could not find it.

Any suggestions?

I would prefer to switch from the Ford Gold Extended coolant on my next change. Especially after those "grit" pictures you posted.

There are no "truck stops" in Los Angeles to try and find it in.

Perhaps try to locate a Shell distributor? They don't make it easy to find them though. I had to contact Shell corporate only to find out that my local Napa was hooked up with a Shell distributor and could order it for me. An interesting thing about the Ultra ELC is that it's gold in color too.

Also, even if you found it at a truck stop it would probably be 50/50. I was finally able to order a case of concentrate.

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
The Evans coolant is some pretty neat stuff. Being waterless it can operate in a much larger temperature range and can get very hot before it boils. However; it is not compatible with any off the shelf coolant, it's very expensive, and you're never going to see it in a store (have to plan ahead for a cooling system failure).

The only way I would consider running it would be if I were in your situation, starting with a clean/dry cooling system.

I would steer you towards one of the more commercially available ELCs (extended life coolant), some of which have a 750,000 mile change interval. Many are good choices, and they were chiefly designed to survive and thrive in high heat producing diesels. I like Shells coolants. I have used their regular ELC and just bought a case of their Ultra ELC. The Ultra is the latest design, which is more robust and contains more aggressive corrosion inhibitors. It was designed for the new emissions diesels that contain a lot of aluminum, and run hot due to copious amounts of EGR.

In my mind, the biggest advantage of an ELC is the elimination of silicate in the formulation. The silicate in Ford's previous coolants had a tendency to precipitate out and become and abrasive in the system, leading to failed hoses/seals and clogged oil coolers.
Sid, I think you meant 150,000 mile interval.

Users who are viewing this thread