Water temp gauge in car

B03Cobra

SVT G0D
Established Member
How accurate is the thing? I know it shouldnt fluctuate much, I have a 160 deg thermo in, and was going for a cruise down the canyon, the temp gauge went slightly below the center line and held there for about 10 mins, it was a cooler day, but I had been driving for about 2 hours really hard. Any ideas?

I watched the electric guage in the trip readout and it stayed between 87-91c.

bones

Established Member
It's a POS "idiot gauge". It's designed to hit center at about 85C and stay there almost until the temp reaches the point of no return (around 120C). Shortly after that if the temp keeps climbing the PCM will go into "limp" mode.

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
I bought an aftermarket water temp gauge, but I cant find where to buy an adapter so i can finish the install... Any idea's?

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
What you ought to do is get the guage scanner made by Linear Logic. It literally takes 2 seconds to install and provides 39 different real-time engine performance parameters as well as traps all scan codes. It also stores everything as well into CURRENT and PREVIOUS DAY history.

It provides a display of any four parmeters at any given time and it cost $99.00. Plugs into the secondary ODB2 port to the right of the steering column.

Some of the the 39 parms it provides:

RPM
Air Intake Temp
Water Temp
Fuel Pressure
Manifold Pressure
Gallons per Hour
Highest RPM
Highest MPH
Miles per Gallon
Timing Spark
Throttle Position
Remaining Percentage Power While under Load
Remaining Percentage Power While not under Load

and a host of others...........

Last edited:

EatonMe

Originally posted by CobraKindaGuy
What you ought to do is get the guage scanner made by Linear Logic. It literally takes 2 seconds to install and provides 39 different real-time engine performance parameters as well as traps all scan codes. It also stores everything as well into CURRENT and PREVIOUS DAY history.

It provides a display of any four parmeters at any given time and it cost $99.00. Plugs into the secondary ODB2 port to the right of the steering column.

Some of the the 39 parms it provides:

RPM
Air Intake Temp
Water Temp
Fuel Pressure
Manifold Pressure
Gallons per Hour
Highest RPM
Highest MPH
Miles per Gallon
Timing Spark
Throttle Position
Remaining Percentage Power While under Load
Remaining Percentage Power While not under Load

and a host of others...........

Could you provide a link to where this item can be purchased, please?

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
That looks like a cool little device! I read the user manual and FAQ on-line but still have some questions...specifically about how it installs/mounts. So if someone actually has one of these things, help me out...

Does it come with a mounting bracket of some type? :??:

Does it come with an extension cable, or do you have to hang it right off of the OBDII port? :??:

-Greg

mosconiac

Established Member
That Scan Gauge is so cheap that you could tear the LCD out of the enclosure, mount it somewhere cool, mount the buttons somewhere discrete, and tuck the "guts" somewhere out of sight. I just may have stumbled across another winter project.

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
i have an aftermarket gauge. it's generally between 180* and 220* depending on outside temp. and driving conditions.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Originally posted by tian13
TTT, I would be interested in any more input from anyone who has one and is using it?

Thanks

I have the device. I mounted it to the center of my dash with velcro....ran the cord down the left dash-channel along side the radio/AC console and under the steering wheel bay into the OBD2 connector. The remaining cord I just looped it into a small 5 inch circle. tied it off and then tucked it into the space where the carpet meets the floor-dash console just to the right of where your right calf would be. You cannot even see the cord loop at all.

The scan works great and gives me that warm & fuzzy in real time that the engine is working correctly....or when the engine is not which hasn't happened so far (knock on wood).

Users who are viewing this thread