Water pump would rather break apart than come out...

Stokestack

Established Member
Hi all.

I need to remove my water pump so I can get the timing cover off my '96 Cobra; the cover is confined by the water pump and the SAI tubing, and I don't want to break that tubing. I'll replace the water pump while I'm at it, because it's at 160K miles anyway.

I've removed the four bolts holding the water pump, but it will not come out. I've hit it with a rubber mallet. I've put a piece of wood against it and hit that with a hammer. I've pried the tabs with a big-ass screwdriver. And finally I pried the tabs with a hammer claw. That produced the result depicted below.

So now I'm at a loss. Has anyone hit one of these with a sledgehammer?

Attachments

• water pump tab broken.jpg
    water pump tab broken.jpg
    683.9 KB · Views: 159

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
I ended up using a flat head screwdriver and using a small hammer between the block and the pump and worked my way around to get it loose, all the corrosion and the o ring is holding it in place.

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
I didn't have to pull my water pump to pull the timing cover just fyi. Just did it like 4 weeks ago

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
I got rid of sai and egr a long time ago so not sure what you have to do with that.

I do know when i took it off i couldn't get the nut loose on the header so i cut the pipe

jgt58

Established Member
I got rid of sai and egr a long time ago so not sure what you have to do with that.

I do know when i took it off i couldn't get the nut loose on the header so i cut the pipe

Do you have a how to on removing the sai? I'm fixing to do the same along with the egr.

Sent from my Z982 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Not really it's pretty straight forward.

Get a egr block of plate for the upper intake manifold and you need to do something with the header bung. In my case i got headers that didn't have it

Remove everything cap any open vacuum ports

jgt58

Established Member
Not really it's pretty straight forward.

Get a egr block of plate for the upper intake manifold and you need to do something with the header bung. In my case i got headers that didn't have it

Remove everything cap any open vacuum ports

Yeah I got the cap from Ford for the egr cap. But no one sells a cap for the sai ports.... I don't have the luxury of changing the headers...

Sent from my Z982 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread