water pump/ temp gauge installed, notes and tips

FindemorGrindem

Established Member
Well I finally installed my meziere electric pump on my 98 cobra last night. I ran into several key problems. First, you really have to have ballend hex key wrenches or go buy some or there is no way you will tighten the pump up. A second thing that plagued me for over 15 minutes is that the pump would run but then die when the car cranked. Turns out I found a power source that went hot with ignition just like the instructions said but would go back dead when the car was running. I broke 3 1/4in ratchets trying to get the coolant fill plug off the crossover tube. So I then take the whole crossover tube off and got my revenge. I got my lincoln welder and welded a nut to the top of it and put it in a vice. I took a 1/2 ratchet w/ a cheater pipe to break it loose. I then decide to weld another bung to the bottom of the crossover pipe to mount my sending unit to my gauge. I looked everywhere for a plug on the bottom side of the block and the heads but I came up empty. The problem I see now is that if the electric pump quits and stops pumping water up into the crossover tube will my gauge still read the hot air/steam in the crossover pipe to let me know whats going on. While I was adding coolant, I stopped and the crossover pipe was dry but the guage was still reading 180 degrees so I'm thinking it will be alright.

Users who are viewing this thread