water pump question.

svtdriven

Established Member
I am going to be putting a new engine together for next summer. I figured I'd put all new parts on as well, including the water pump. I see that there are two different pumps fof the 93 302. a standard rotation w/ v-belt and a reverse rotation with a serpentine belt.

Our cars use the reverse rotation pump, correct?

I was thinking about getting this pump. any thoughts?
jegs water pump

unibager

Established Member
Yes, reverse rotation + serpentine belt. The reason is because the crank spins clockwise, yet the water pump spins counter.
I was thinking, I know - thats dangerous :wf: for thinking. Seriously though, if you do not have a larger radiator, a higher volume pump will do nothing but move coolant quicker through the system. My point is, that it seems that the higher speed can reduce the cooling effect, and possibly lead to hot spots. Shit, I read a couple articles a long time ago on it. Probably doesnt matter. :bash: I got to stop thinking.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
high speed will indeed reduce the cooling effect that happens through the radiator, get the OEM one and be done with it.

svt tech 1972

Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
high speed will indeed reduce the cooling effect that happens through the radiator, get the OEM one and be done with it.
That is not entirely correct.When the thermostat is closed,coolant is circulated in the block and through the cylinder heads.When the thermostat is opened,the coolant starts to flow through the radiator.If you install the higher flowing water pump,make sure that you install the flow restrictor in the heater hose going to the heater core.Installing a 160 degree thermostat will reduce the cooling effect more than installing a high flow water pump.When a 160 degree thermostat is installed,coolant in the radiator never has a chance to cool off before the thermostat opens again.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
If you are building a performance motor (H/C/I , Forced Induction ot Stroker) I would go with a better water pump. I have always used the Edelbrock pump with good results. I always just use a factory two core radiator and Edel. pump. My cars run cool in Texas heat, traffic, w/air cond on. I don't use thick radiators because they are not needed if everything is right and the leave no room at the front of the eng. compartment.

If you are just rebuilding a stock cobra motor, I would just buy an OEM Ford pump for $45. Don't skimp out and buy an Autozone $14 Japanense pump, they have cheap bearings and do not last at all.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
svt tech 1972 said:
Just outside of Knoxville, Tn.
I live in Sweetwater (halfway between Knoxville and Chattanooga).

We have a nice local thread going on the corral.net. Go to the Southeast forum, and it is "Anyone from East TN at the corral?"... :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread