Water leak passenger compartment

BBCOBRA

Established Member
A while back there was a thread about some getting water leakage from around the door weather stripping, mostly convertibles and some coups. I too had a leak from time to time. I just pulled my carpet out (to dry out).

I also have my a pillar and rear pillar panels out along with the head liner. I'm getting some paint work done on the top soon.

I sprayed the car while every thing is exposed. No leaks around the window or door, other than the occasional drop or two at the corner (near the tweeter) from spraying directly in that location. That happens at the car wash. No big deal.

We also had a big rain a couple of days prior to this. I moved the car and realized it had water in the right quarter panel or right side of the footwell (where the ECU is attached). Water poured out of a couple of holes so I know that's atleast some where it is getting into then probably seeping into the cabin floor from there.

What possible leak path could get water into this location?

One possibility is the windshield seal. I had the car roof repaired several years ago (slight tree damage) and the windshield had to be removed and put back on. The windshield was not sealed well IMO because I had issues that sprang up last summer when my moulding around the windshield cracked and was coming up at the corner. Not enough of the sealant was put back in under the moulding.
The body guy that is going to do my paint work said alot of body shops do this in order to save the moulding. They cut it off and glue it back on. He said it looked to him like they didnt use enough of the glue / RTV when they put it back on. That's why I suspect the windshield seal now.
Could water get into the quarter panel from the cowl?

or Right fender?

Any help appreciated.

When I moved the car

Last edited:

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
My daughter's Taurus had a water leak that puddled on the passenger floor mat. I reached under the glove box and it was wet. Took it to Ford and they re-sealed the cowl and fixed the problem.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
thanks.

anybody pulled the cowl panel off?

how easy does it come off?

I suppose you access the cowl vent area from outside under this panel right?

BBCOBRA

Established Member
ok I found instructions on removal. does any body know about what tousley sells these for since most say they are sure to crack when removing them.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
ok, I just confirmed it yesterday. I took a water hose and ran water in on the passenger side cowl vent and it did run out inside the car. Any body know where the drain is for these? could it possibly just be plugged and it's overflowing and then running in through the vents. I've never seen evidence of it getting into the vent system though. It just gets into the quarter panel then seeps out into the floor.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
can any body tell me how to access the cowl drain

Do I have to remove the cowl panel or start by cleaning from underneath the car?

where is the drain?

thanks for any help.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
ok, I worked on this yesterday. I did see that the exit point of the water from the cowl is a oblong hole right beside the antenna on the passenger side. The water drains and pours down the body panel to the spash guard and rocker panel and out. I did'nt even have to remove the right wheel. I just pulled the spash guard out so I could see up in there. I did have the rocker panel moulding off.

The firewall has a piece that is welded on at the corners of the body. the doors are attached to this piece of the body. The seam between these to body panels is where the water was getting in. I used black silicone RTV and made a pretty good bead all along this seam, from up above the antenna (behind the cowl water exit point) all the way down to the rocker panel. I think it was getting in just above the rocker panel. I tested it yesterday afternoon (poured in about 2 gallons of water) and it remained dry except for one very small trickle from the lower rocker panel this time. Today I added more RTV at the top of the same body seam and also sealed the corner of the rocker panel and the floor seam. There is factory sealer here, I just added to it.

Hope this may help some one else out in the future.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Thanks for posting. I don't personally have this issue, but it is certainly good info in case it pops up in the future.:beer:

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Should post this in the "How To" forum, for future reference.

Name the thread "How To: Water Leaks in the Passenger Compartment" (or somethign similar, cuz that is probably too long).

Then others can add thier knowledge to the thread too!

GJ tracking it down and posting about it!

BBCOBRA

Established Member
May be so. I thought about that but the How Too forum is about common upgrades, rebuilds, fixes ect.
This situation is not that common it seems, because I searched around and found little answers. This is the reason I like these forums. Lots of useful information to look up and help you figure things out.
We got a down pour last night with wind, lots of rain, lightning. I checked the car this morning and it's dry as a bone. I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread