Water Ingestion

BeattySTi

Import Traitor
Established Member
I ran through a huge puddle tonight and right afterward the car died on me. i managed to pull off and try to restart it because i wasnt exactly in a good part of town to leave it there. It took a while but i finally got it running and it ended up running ok, but as soon as i hit 3000rpm she just bucks like crazy and shoots black smoke out the rear. of course i kept it below 3 grand the rest of the way but it stalled at a light 4 times, i had to crawl through the intercection and only ended up at my girlfriends house, it just didnt want to go any further. I have the JLT CAI and i beleive that is my problem (it just ingested too much water) or do you think it could be something else? My biggest concern is other possible damage down the road from water ingestion. thanks for the help.

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
how is it acting now, it should be dried out right? i have always assumed hydro lock was just tha, LOCKED UP! let us know if it continues.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
If you hydo locked that thing it wouldn't be running right now. If it's not making any noise at 2900 rpm's I doubt you have any thing wrong internaly. I would guess you have a problem with your MAF.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
speeddemon2000 said:
If you hydo locked that thing it wouldn't be running right now. If it's not making any noise at 2900 rpm's I doubt you have any thing wrong internaly. I would guess you have a problem with your MAF.

Agreed. My brother hydro-locked his old 92 GT, and it did not run at all. The good news is that your insurance will cover it. His did, and he replaced his shortblock with a built 347. He also got a TKO transmission, as well.

BeattySTi

Import Traitor
Established Member
ok i was able to get over to my gf's house this morning and take off the filter, it was soaked. i let it dry all day and was able to put it back on tonight. The car is fine now runs like a champ.

should i be worried about other possible damaged cause by last nights behavior (sputtering, bucking, black smoke etc.), or is everything cleared out and ok?
btw thanks for the responses!

03nightmare

BRAD
Established Member
usually the first thing you want to do when your car dies because of a puddle is. do not start it. check filter like you have, change it or dry it out. next pull the plugs out and turn the car over with the plugs removed, this will get any water out of the cylinder. yours did start afterwards so you couldn't of had that much water in it. put plugs back in change the oil in case any water got past the rings and into the oil. more than likely in your case this did not happen but I would change the oil anyways. once everything is dryed out you should be fine. The filter being soaked along with water on the maf was probobly why it was acting funny.

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
your engine obviously not hydro locked, and if it now runs smoothly then theres no bent anything. what probably happened is the maf's sensor wire got wet and so the ECU would see this as alot of air coming into the engine and it would add alot of fuel. hence the black smoke. so the engine was pig rich which is why it didnt want to start. and so unless you drove through a puddle which came up above your wheels or something i highly doubt it did any real permanet damage. you may want to clean yor MAF but be really careful you can damage it with wrong chemicals (ie. brake cleaner is a no no) they make maf meter cleaner these days, couldnt tell ya where to find it though, parts stores obviously but...?
good luck, sorry to here about this

Users who are viewing this thread