Water in spark plug holes HELP

ugotbitt

JUST A VERT
Established Member
I have a 2002 lightning with about 60,000 miles on it and need some help.My check engine light came on the other day and the code scanner said it was a cylinder misfire. So I started changing my plugs and when I got to #2 and #3 cylinders I found water in the spark plug holes. I have not washed the engine or anything like that. I am not losing any coolant. So does anyone know what is going on and what I can do to stop it? The spark plug in the pic below was wet when I took it out but dried before I took the pic.

Thanks in advance Mark

232323232%7Ffp53995%3Enu%3D66%3A7%3E86%3B%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D33956%3B739534%3Bnu0mrj

01silverlight

Established Member
I have the same problem, my spark plug in cylinder 2 is in the same condition as yours, I change then out already. I have a 01 lightning and looks like both you and I are in the same boat. I just found this corroded spark plug yesterday as I was changing them out. Hopefully it's just a bad plug that made contact with water and nothing serious I'm hoping,

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
Might wanna get a compression check as well, had the same thing happen and caused one of my cylinders to go low on compression.

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
I had the same issue on my 98 GT, I chalked it up to sitting outside during some very nasty storms.

Changed the plugs and the wires, car has been inside since and no issues

1998Cobra

Established Member
Pretty common, mine get soaked when it rains hard enough. Not much you can do but try to keep them dry and fresh. They will eventually get wet and corroded like that again if you leave them long enough

ugotbitt

JUST A VERT
Established Member
Pretty common, mine get soaked when it rains hard enough. Not much you can do but try to keep them dry and fresh. They will eventually get wet and corroded like that again if you leave them long enough

Do you know where the water is coming in at?

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
I have seen it mentioned in forums in the past that sometimes the rubber hood weatherstrip seal along the back edge of the engine compartment
(between the cab and the hood) can leak water down into the top of the motor.
Check the rubber seal if it's in it's proper position and not damaged in any way.

mustangracer11

Established Member
I've had this problem many times. You Can buy new rubber boots to put on your coils. I was going to replace mine but before I did I put silicon around the rubber boot, put it back on and I haven't had anymore problems.

Users who are viewing this thread