Water in my vert!!!! Help!

1989CobraMakeOv

mustangoholic
Established Member
Well it's not a super big deal, but I do want to fix it and QUICK! I was warned about this problem from a friend before I bought the car, and thought, "ah, it'll never happen to me, why would they design a car that allows water in when it rains.........."

Well there's probably a gallon of water sloshing around behind my rear seat. How do I fix this? Is this normal of these cars? Is it harmful to my car? It's seems to be more of an annoyance thana serious problem, because my car doesn’t stink or anything, and I’m assuming the water just pools there and doesn’t penetrate the plastic and eventually evaporates.

You help is appreciated.

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
It happened to my buddies car. Check the stitching around the top of the quarter panels. Also, check where it is connected to the glass. His was worn from the sun and it required a new top.

1989CobraMakeOv

mustangoholic
Established Member
Common sense should tell you that a gallon of water in the passenger compartment is defiantly not normal!:poke:

Thankfully my convertible does not leak water.:banana:

well ah the car only has 70k and it is in near mint condition and the top is in mint condition so it's just shocking to me.

VtekII

Established Member
ha i wouldnt wait for it to evaporate either, water rusts stuff pretty quick too... i doubt you want a rusty floor pan. not to mention mold and stuff could possibly start to grow on the bottom of the carpet. maybe try taking a hose to it with somebody inside to watch for leaks?

bent99

Established Member
Put a chia pet back there and watch it grow. It is Christmas tim e I know there around.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Mine does that sometimes too. My top is still in pretty good condition so I think it comes in on the sides of the rear window. There is a band of elastic on each side that seems a little loose on my car. If it's really windy & rainy, I get water behind the seat. If the rain falls straight down, it stays dry. I just use a synthetic chamois (sp?) to remove the water. I recommend taking it easy on the turns until you get all the water out -- the vinyl "well" only holds so much water.

Users who are viewing this thread