Water condensation or head gasket issues?

31BCobra

#60 04' Cobra - Torch Red
Established Member
Okay, recently had my cats off for tuning purposes. Went out today and started the car to pull it into the driveway and reinstall the cats. There was no vapor for about a minute until the car started to warm up, then it started very slowly and eventually developed into this. The vapor dissipates before it even reaches the top of the garage. I am figuring it is just a lot of water vapor from being on E85 + no cats but I just wanted to see what you guys think. Fluid in the expansion tank is still pretty much at the level it has been at since I flushed the system ~6 months ago. Weather is about the coolest it has been since I took the cats off.

[video=youtube;PGq2_3R6Jhg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGq2_3R6Jhg[/video]

ctgreddy

Established Member
i sure wouldn't worry about that. Looks normal for coolish weather. what temp is it outside? usually mine will have a little smoke similar to that when it's under like 55 degrees.

31BCobra

Established Member
i sure wouldn't worry about that. Looks normal for coolish weather. what temp is it outside? usually mine will have a little smoke similar to that when it's under like 55 degrees.

It's like 65 right now. I just drove around and had my roommate watch me pull away. It spit a bunch of water out the tailpipe when I drove away and when I came back there was no vapor. Let it sit for about 3 minutes and the vapor came back. I am assuming that at idle there is water pooling in the exhaust and it is creating excessive vapor once it heats up at idle. I seen this big ass cloud of what looked like smoke and went straight to the forums instead of investigating. Thanks for the help guys.

BoostedByV

No Fly By ZONE
Established Member
It's like 65 right now. I just drove around and had my roommate watch me pull away. It spit a bunch of water out the tailpipe when I drove away and when I came back there was no vapor. Let it sit for about 3 minutes and the vapor came back. I am assuming that at idle there is water pooling in the exhaust and it is creating excessive vapor once it heats up at idle. I seen this big ass cloud of what looked like smoke and went straight to the forums instead of investigating. Thanks for the help guys.

I get some water at cold start but that's from the hot exhaust gas and cold exhaust pipe

Okay, recently had my cats off for tuning purposes. Went out today and started the car to pull it into the driveway and reinstall the cats. There was no vapor for about a minute until the car started to warm up, then it started very slowly and eventually developed into this. The vapor dissipates before it even reaches the top of the garage. I am figuring it is just a lot of water vapor from being on E85 + no cats but I just wanted to see what you guys think. Fluid in the expansion tank is still pretty much at the level it has been at since I flushed the system ~6 months ago. Weather is about the coolest it has been since I took the cats off.

[video=youtube;PGq2_3R6Jhg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGq2_3R6Jhg[/video]

For cold starts that's normal with my car

MG0h3

Established Member
Coolant being burnt has a very distinct smell. Ill smell it in traffic and start looking for the car--sometimes is like a 1/2 mile up the road on the freeway.

Like others said its the cool weather. I see a few ounces run out of mine when I back out of the garage this time of year.

31BCobra

Established Member
Hypothetically, if it starts to warm up, to say like high 80s and 90s and it still does this, is it still normal? Although what's really considered normal for a barely stock car anyways? I know I am being overly paranoid but I feel that helps me prepare for when something really goes wrong I know it right away. Helps me learn a little more in the process as well.

wckdvnm

Established Member
I'm out in SB and my car only does it recently since we have had higher humidity and cold temps. I thought the same as you but once it got up to 60-70's it stopped.

Users who are viewing this thread