Watched it come off the truck

nsreed

Established Member
I knew my car was being delivered today. I had some running to do this morning. What did I see in front of me but a car carrier heading toward my dealer with a yellow Cobra coupe on it. That had to be my car and it was!
The driver was very cool about making sure it came off the truck OK. No damage on the underside at all. No rubber in the wheel wells. It DOES have 30.1 miles on it which ticked me off. But mine is one that was sent for emmission testing. Other then being VERY dirty and a bit muddy,all looked good outside. The only defect I found was a chip in the leather steering wheel which the parts manager at Fred Grande Ford in Richmond, Michigan promptly ordered.

Grande Ford is only a few miles from the Romeo, Michigan Engine plant. He has many customers that are the guys actually building the Cobra engines. The owner said he would fix me up with one of them for a tour ASAP of the SVT Cobra engines being built. In fact, I had just missed one of the guys from the plant talking about the engines. He said ALL the engines they have put on the dyno are 415 to 420 HP. There is a possibility, I can take my Cobra with me to the plant and have them do a Dyno on it while I am there. That would be awesome. You bet I will have my camera either way.

When I opened the hood and looked at the engine, WHAT A WORK OF ART! I wish the car itself was as beautiful. It's still a mean looking machine! But would have liked to see more Cobra enhancments. The exhaust HAS to go. Much too quiet. So I'll be ordering that in a few minutes. The seats ARE very stiff but I think will be OK. I didn't drive it yet. Will pick it up in a couple of hours. Grande is not letting ANYBODY drive it other then me. Pretty nice of them to assure that.

There were some other Cobras on the truck too. So let me know if you got yours today!
NSR:beer:

nsreed

Established Member
Build date

My car was built May 13th. Between sitting in lots on hold and the emission testing it arrived today 6-17-02!
:mj:

Rob03

Established Member
Wait until you are through with the break-in period before you dyno. Don't want to break it in the hard way...plus you will get better numbers after everything is seated properly...JMO

Cheers, :beer:
Robert

nsreed

Established Member
Dyno break in

Thanks Rob
Will be very carefull to take care of it before I dyno it. I am an avid user of Mobil One synthetic oil. I plan on using it in my Cobra once it's broken in. I'll change the oil at 500 miles and use premium regular oil. I will put some miles on it right away to shake out any problems, This car won't get a lot of miles. Maybe 2000 per year. I always change the oil before I store it for Winter.

QUESTION: I have read on the site that some guys that have used Mobil One in their 2001 Cobras got oil leaks. Seems kind of strange. Any thoughts??
Ned

donaisenbrey

Established Member
The exhaust HAS to go. Much too quiet. So I'll be ordering that in a few minutes.

I will have the same problem. To quiet and to restrictive. What did you order (assuming the few minutes has passed) and how loud do you expect it to be. I'm looking for louder but not to loud and as deep a tone as possible. I'd like to get the big bore V8 sound with my small bore engine.............Don

nsreed

Established Member
Exhaust

Hi Don:

I have not ordered anything yet , but will. I am leaning toward the Ford Racing FR-500 system. But I read on one of the threads, that this system needs some mods done to it. Not sure if that is true. Hope someone has made the change and will advise us. Everyone seems to agree the best thing to do is to call JDM and talk to them about it. That I will do. I am also thinking about adding a new pulley to the blower to increase boost. JDM told me that will add about 40 hp & 55lbs of torque with the cat back system and pulley.

Like you, I don't want it too loud. But it really needs to have a nice rumble at idle and sound off a bit when you get on it. Let me know about your car. Likes, dislikes etc. Can't wait to drive mine for the first time at 4pm!
Ned

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Re: Dyno break in

Originally posted by nsreed

QUESTION: I have read on the site that some guys that have used Mobil One in their 2001 Cobras got oil leaks. Seems kind of strange. Any thoughts??
Ned

FWIW, no oil leaks here on my 01 w/ Mobil 1 5w-30 & motorcraft 820S oil filter....

(13K miles, used motorcraft semi-synth 5w-20 for the first few thousand though...)

Hope that helps.

:shrug:

nsreed

Established Member
Who ME????

You can bet after I get a couple hundred miles on her I am going to have that "Hoover" on top of the motor spinning hard! LOL!!
Ned:thumbsup:

CobraCraig

Established Member
nsreed,
Congrats on the new 03. I have the exact same car on order (due in week after next). I am sure that Rob03 and myself would love to see some pics of what our future Cobra's will look like so please post pics ASAP.

Good luck
Craig

2K2 GT

Established Member
'03 Cobra

nsreed,I don't believe the Romeo engine plant has a chassis dyno since they only build the engines for the Cobra.But I'm sure you will still have a great time taking a tour.

nsreed

Established Member
To Craig- Pics

Here are some photos. If you want I can email some to you if you send me your email address. My address is: [email protected]
Thanks
Ned

IT JUST GETS MORE INCREDIBLE EVERY TIME I DRIVE IT!

Users who are viewing this thread