Wastegate spring question?

BigmotoXer

Established Member
I ordered my wastegate with my TT kit with 7psi springs, equating to about 10lbs of boost. Because 10lbs of boost is what I want. Well, I've recently read that if you want 10lbs of boost that you should purchase wastegates with lighter springs so that the gate can start opening early enough to give the wastegate appropriate time to open far enough to release enough pressure to slow the turbo to stay on 10lbs. (I can't go over 10lbs)
In other words should I have gotten lighter springs?

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
if you only want to run 10lbs, 7# springs should work fine. every kit is a little different and will show different pressures at a given spring, depending on efficiency and back pressure.

a 7# spring will need a little added to the top of the gates to get to 10lbs, most likely.

but then again, you'll see more boost on the street than you will on the dyno, in most cases.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
if you only want to run 10lbs, 7# springs should work fine. every kit is a little different and will show different pressures at a given spring, depending on efficiency and back pressure.

a 7# spring will need a little added to the top of the gates to get to 10lbs, most likely.

but then again, you'll see more boost on the street than you will on the dyno, in most cases.

Thanks for the advice. When you say that the gates will need a Little added to the top you mean with assist of boost controller right?

Users who are viewing this thread