Washer and Dryer Suggestions

04YellowGT

Established Member
So the wife and I bought a new (to us) house and and it comes with all the appliances except for the washer and dryer. I've only owned two sets and they were both low option entry level units. They cleaned well and were pretty reliable. My wife now wants to get a new set and wants to buy a mid level set somewhere in the 800-1000 per unit so $2000ish for the set.

Have any of you bought a set you really like and is actually reliable? I have friends that have bought some high dollar sets and they have had extremely expensive repair bills. Would like to buy American made if possible but not a must. Wife wants a front load but I'm not sold on that yet.

Thanks for the help.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Yes. Buy a Maytag. We have the Maytag Bravos commercial grade washer and dryer. Get a top load washer, not a side-loader. They last longer and no issues with mold or mildew around the seals or bottom of washer. We kept our last Maytag for 20 years only to upgrade to HE. The old ones were still running like new. Ours cost around $2200 for both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Another big no to front loader washer. Mold will get you. Appliances always go on sale especially around any holiday.

Front load dryer is the bomb though.

Like cars, the more gizmos more things can break and the more expensive.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Front load is all the rage these days. You'll be hard pressed to find a top load washer with a lot of features for cheap. I wouldn't be too concerned about mold or mildew with a front loader. All you have to do to avoid that is just leave the door cracked open when you're done using it.

We just bought a Samsung washer/dryer set for somewhere around $2K, but that was back during the Labor Day sales when they were something like 25% off. I can't speak on the reliability of them. So far, so good. We replaced a Kenmore set that the washer's control board was acting up. That set was probably not much more than 10 years old. The set before that was an "old timey" Whirlpool set that was top-of-the-line when I bought it. That set lasted about 20 years and was still mechanically functioning when we swapped them. I had to change the clutch on the washer once, and I changed the dryer's heating element at the end. Although, the new heating element still didn't work. It was probably a resistor that went bad.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Maytag Centenial Commercial washer and dryer , cost me 1800 , brand new from the scratch and dent branch.
We looked for a half hour for damage , found none , but they buy entire containers , and it is like apples , one scratched , they must all be .
Ours is white , no led screens or bling.
Has progress lights , so you know where the cycle is , plenty of features , and the one I like the most is a 10 year warranty , and all I have to do is put my stuff in it , close the lid , push one button .

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
No experience, but some members on here have recommended speed queen in the past.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
We have the kenmore 700 series. The washer is top load. Either arent expensive. We did not want to buy expensive because to our needs, it is overkill and out of our budget. We have had zero problems however they are only a little less than 2 years old. We are against top load washers due to mold, front gasket issues etc. I would like to comment on them more but i dont do much clothes. My wife does it for me.

We do stay away from big chain stores for appliances. That way it doesnt take an act of congress for repairs. We dont mine paying a little more at a mom and pop store.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Maytag Centenial Commercial washer and dryer , cost me 1800 , brand new from the scratch and dent branch.
We looked for a half hour for damage , found none , but they buy entire containers , and it is like apples , one scratched , they must all be .
Ours is white , no led screens or bling.
Has progress lights , so you know where the cycle is , plenty of features , and the one I like the most is a 10 year warranty , and all I have to do is put my stuff in it , close the lid , push one button .

How many quarters does it take?

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Almost exactly two years ago (we closed on our current house Nov 2014), we bought the highest end front loading Whirlpools they had at the store at the time and paid 1800 delivered and installed.

Stanger00

Established Member
Be pretty hard to spend 2k for mid grade units when they are usually on sale and come with rebates from manufacturers.

I'm in the market for new washer and dryer and we're looking for units that are quiet! We just sold our house and the buyer offered enough money for us to sell the house with all of our appliances. Good thing because we had whirlpool cabrio and the dryer and washer are loud.

We are looking at LG models and will be going to side load washer instead of top load this time around.

We had soap issues with top load and always had to use extra rinse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sirhc7897

Established Member
As stated above. Leave the washer door cracked on the front load and no mold/mildew issues.

We've had a Frigidaire front load set for going on 9 years now. They run constantly at our house and have been extremely stout. Maybe when we add in the cost for the pedestals they might have totaled $1,400...maybe...

I've had to replace a few parts on the dryer (new squirrel cage, a couple drum felt guides, etc. on the dryer, had to take front off washer and re-bolt one of the "arms" that holds the drum in place) Clean well, easy to use, etc...Would highly recommend.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
My parents keep buying expensive washer and dryers and they seem to replace them constantly. I'm running an old school washer I got from HD like 7 years ago for $300 (new but physical damage on the side).

If it was me, I would just get a Speed Queen. They build them old school style with good parts. I do not own one but those who do swear by them.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I'm about to have to replace a GE set I bought 20yrs ago. I'll be replacing with GE again. It also supports my local economy as they're built in Louisville. no front load nonsense for me, no built in web browser.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I waited until I found a good deal from Whirlpools outlet. Got top loading HE washer and HE dryer (CABRIO?) for less than $800 delivered, installed and disposal of old units. I've had them for about a year and half now I guess. They have been great so far. I just kept checking slickdeals and checking with my friends BB store. I hate buying stupid shit like appliances. I refused to pay $1,000+ for something like that. I had a GE set before that. They lasted a whopping 7 years.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
The commercial designation, is the capacity.
As for quarters , how ever many you leave in your pockets...
We bought the largest caps city, because we have king size bedding and I wear carhartts , and they get nice and clean , and the dryer is large enough that all of the clothes are dry in an hour.
This is a top load washer front load dryer .

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
We bought an LG set at the beginning of this year with the new house, they run like champs. I got the top loading washer this time because I hated the mildew issue that my old LG Tromm front loaders had, even cracking the doors open after running.

If you have even a small amount of mechanical knowledge, you can work on these. Repairclinic.com has awesome troubleshooting guides and diy videos. I had to replace a few small and cheap electrical sensors in my old Tromm dryer once (they were around 8 years old at the time), that website showed exactly where they were and how to get to them, really easy.

nxhappy

Established Member
whatever is on sale at lowes/home depot lol. they don't make them like they used to.

Users who are viewing this thread