Warranty Question

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Simple answer - no

Long answer - The automotive manufacturer would have to prove that the lubricant you used in your engine caused the failure before they could void your drivetrain warranty.

Dominic Toretto

Established Member
I noticed that the cap reads "Motorcraft", does that insinuate that Ford service departments do not supply or use Mobil 1? If they do not, can I take it to any competent service area for an oil change with M1 and still be covered even if the oil change was not performed by Ford? Sorry for the very newb questions, not used to worrying about a warranty.

-Alex

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Also, is it advantageous to run a little more oil than recommended in these engines?

-Alex

We don't know what kind of vehicle you have. Unless you have a 4valve 4.6 the answer is most likely no.

And you can bring your own Mobil1 to the dealer and have them put it in. They most likely won't have a problem with that. Just make sure the tech actually uses your oil and doesn't set it aside.

Last edited:

Dominic Toretto

Established Member
We don't know what kind of vehicle you have. Unless you have a 4valve 4.6 the answer is most likely no.

And you can bring your own Mobil1 to the dealer and have them put it in. They most likely won't have a problem with that. Just make sure the tech actually uses your oil and doesn't set it aside.

My apologies, I have a 2012 5.0. And thanks for the info:beer:

-Alex

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
No, running more than the required 8 quarts is no advantage. I'd advise against it. If the lubricant you chose to use in your 5.0 carries Ford's code on the back of the bottle, you are covered by default. Other lubricants that are proven to be superior in this engine that do not carry the code will not void your warranty. In the event of a failure, the lubricant would be sent to the lab for testing. Ford would base their warranty decisions on the results of those test. A superior lubricant would return better than minimum requirements. No voided warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread