Warlords of Dreanor

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
So I have to ask...

Is anyone else planning on playing? I am still going strong after 10 years of playing.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
No. **** WoW.

It lost its glamour for me around beginning of Cataclysm and I played from closed beta of vanilla. Picked it up a couple months before the beginning of MOP, and dropped it without looking back about 3 months into MOP. Tired of running the gear treadmill without the challenge.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
No. **** WoW.

It lost its glamour for me around beginning of Cataclysm and I played from closed beta of vanilla. Picked it up a couple months before the beginning of MOP, and dropped it without looking back about 3 months into MOP. Tired of running the gear treadmill without the challenge.

Yeah I hear you about the PVE but the PVP got a nice revamp. I've mostly been a PVPer thoughout my time.

jacker1991

Established Member
I stopped playing as soon as WoTLK was announced. Loved Vanilla and TBC was pure awesomeness!

It is sad that a 10-year old game is still King of the MMORPGs, very disappointed in the genre. :(

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
I stopped playing as soon as WoTLK was announced. Loved Vanilla and TBC was pure awesomeness!

It is sad that a 10-year old game is still King of the MMORPGs, very disappointed in the genre. :(

I thought WOTLK was the best, though mostly because of the story.
I disagree with it being sad that it is still top of the genre. It should be celebrated. It is the king because it is so goddamned streamlined. It is a really good game and nothing really compares to it anymore. It has set the bar for the industry. There is no denying. Games like ESO, GW, and Wildstar are compared to it, but aren't really comparable in terms of scale or scope. There is a LOT to do in WoW. The story is/was good and fluid and continuous, though it doesn't feel the same to me anymore, and I guess it shouldn't after 10 years.

But after a decade of playing, things get a little jaded and repetitive. I do feel they have lost sight of what makes the game fun, but I guess it's no simple equation for determining "fun". Maybe it's just that I don't have time to dedicate to it anymore, and after playing it hardcore (80+hours a week) throughout college, it's hard to go back to casual when I want to sink time into it that I don't have.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I stopped playing WoW a long time ago. Every time they patched it I had to relearn the character and it was a game that I didn't want dumbed down. That was some of the allure to me. It's pretty much gone now so I don't expect to pick up this expansion and continue playing.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
I thought WOTLK was the best, though mostly because of the story.
I disagree with it being sad that it is still top of the genre. It should be celebrated. It is the king because it is so goddamned streamlined. It is a really good game and nothing really compares to it anymore. It has set the bar for the industry. There is no denying. Games like ESO, GW, and Wildstar are compared to it, but aren't really comparable in terms of scale or scope. There is a LOT to do in WoW. The story is/was good and fluid and continuous, though it doesn't feel the same to me anymore, and I guess it shouldn't after 10 years.

But after a decade of playing, things get a little jaded and repetitive. I do feel they have lost sight of what makes the game fun, but I guess it's no simple equation for determining "fun". Maybe it's just that I don't have time to dedicate to it anymore, and after playing it hardcore (80+hours a week) throughout college, it's hard to go back to casual when I want to sink time into it that I don't have.

World PvP got a revamp and they eliminated flying mounts in Dreanor. This should bring it back a little bit to the good ol' days.

I stopped playing WoW a long time ago. Every time they patched it I had to relearn the character and it was a game that I didn't want dumbed down. That was some of the allure to me. It's pretty much gone now so I don't expect to pick up this expansion and continue playing.

The game is seriously dumbed down, no denying that. There is still a few classes with high skill caps like enchance shamans, affliction locks, and rogues.

04svtterm

Established Member
LOL! thank you guys. i owe you one. This morning, i had 2 employees come into my office together and ask me for thursday and friday off. Said they were helping one of their family members move. Sounded odd, but i honestly didn't mind them wanting a long weekend. Figured they were going somewhere for the weekend. well after seeing this thread i walked into their sections and said "your family wouldn't be warlords of drenor would it?" the looks on their faces was priceless. hahaha. I love playing CODs and sports games so i understand the excitement of the gamer. Told them to take the long weekend. lol. i asked them what the game was and they described it as "lord of the rings type of shit" and told me they doubt i would like it.

That made me genuinely curious.....someone mind filling me in? i wouldn't mind a new game to try. Is it a FPS?

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
LOL! thank you guys. i owe you one. This morning, i had 2 employees come into my office together and ask me for thursday and friday off. Said they were helping one of their family members move. Sounded odd, but i honestly didn't mind them wanting a long weekend. Figured they were going somewhere for the weekend. well after seeing this thread i walked into their sections and said "your family wouldn't be warlords of drenor would it?" the looks on their faces was priceless. hahaha. I love playing CODs and sports games so i understand the excitement of the gamer. Told them to take the long weekend. lol. i asked them what the game was and they described it as "lord of the rings type of shit" and told me they doubt i would like it.

That made me genuinely curious.....someone mind filling me in? i wouldn't mind a new game to try. Is it a FPS?

RPG. Like an online multiplayer final fantasy. You are an awesome boss. Addictive as hell if you like that type of game. Being able to play at the beginning of a new expansion is critical if you want to get ahead of your competition in your online social circle.

edit: if you wanted to try it, a new expansion is also a reset button and is a good time to get into the game if you have a lot of free time that you don't want to have anymore. Ask your boys to recruit-a-friend, for a free month of gametime.
p.p.s. it's 15$/month on top of buying the game.

Last edited:

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member

It's an expansion of World of Warcraft. I'm sure you have seen WoW at some point. And LOL at the request off. Glad I could help :lol:

04svtterm

Established Member
RPG. Like an online multiplayer final fantasy. You are an awesome boss. Addictive as hell if you like that type of game. Being able to play at the beginning of a new expansion is critical if you want to get ahead of your competition in your online social circle.

edit: if you wanted to try it, a new expansion is also a reset button and is a good time to get into the game if you have a lot of free time that you don't want to have anymore. Ask your boys to recruit-a-friend, for a free month of gametime.
p.p.s. it's 15$/month on top of buying the game.

It's an expansion of World of Warcraft. I'm sure you have seen WoW at some point. And LOL at the request off. Glad I could help :lol:

OOOHHHHH...it's world of warcraft. I've heard of it. Didn't know it was still relevant. Gotta give credit to the creators for that.

yea it really doesn't seem to be my type of game, but i honestly haven't tried it. What's the big different with this new expansion? and i know it has the reputation of being time intensive, which is something i don't have lol. Might try it out.

man, i'm surprised these guys actually play that game. It's got quite the reputation and the 2 guys that requested off are the opposite of that warcraft stereotype.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
man, i'm surprised these guys actually play that game. It's got quite the reputation and the 2 guys that requested off are the opposite of that warcraft stereotype.

I think you'd be surprised how many people play it that don't fit that stereotype. Video games of any type don't really have that nerd stigma to them to the extent they once had, so more and more "normal" people are getting in to these types of things.

I usually start playing MMO's during the winter months when I don't have anything to do. Most recently I've been more involved with EVE and may return to that shortly.

Voltwings

Established Member
Man, i miss playing WOW in highschool but i just lost the time and effort... havent played in probably close to 6-7 years now, and i imagine the game is nothing like i remember (for better or worse).
I almost wish they would realease another RTS game like reign of Chaos / Frozen Throne. I've stopped playing wow, but have probably beated Frozen throne half a dozen times in the years since then. Maybe one day i'll pick it back up.

xenodragon

Established Member
Must resist......

I played since WoW was released day 1 and played some of Panda bear land :)

I am sad to say over the past 10 years I have 500 DAYS logged into that game across all my characters.../played

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
OOOHHHHH...it's world of warcraft. I've heard of it. Didn't know it was still relevant. Gotta give credit to the creators for that.

yea it really doesn't seem to be my type of game, but i honestly haven't tried it. What's the big different with this new expansion? and i know it has the reputation of being time intensive, which is something i don't have lol. Might try it out.

Yeah Blizzard (the creators) have done a great job keeping up with this game. Always putting out new content and patching it every week.

You would never guess that me and my friend play this game...complete opposite of the sterotype of a gamer. We even stream our gameplay on Twitch.tv :rolling:

I think you'd be surprised how many people play it that don't fit that stereotype. Video games of any type don't really have that nerd stigma to them to the extent they once had, so more and more "normal" people are getting in to these types of things.

I usually start playing MMO's during the winter months when I don't have anything to do. Most recently I've been more involved with EVE and may return to that shortly.

My buddy's pickup line on girls is, "hey baby you want to check out my mechanical keyboard?". Usually works too.

I'll be playing this for at least a few months then I'll hop back on Diablo/Battlefield when I get bored. Typical cycle for me.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Must resist......

I played since WoW was released day 1 and played some of Panda bear land :)

I am sad to say over the past 10 years I have 500 DAYS logged into that game across all my characters.../played

I'm right there with you. Played on release day and made a undead mage. I have so many different characters but I have at least 2 now with over 200 days played. I'm probably in the 500-700 days played ball park.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Definitely playing but I'll do it Thursday after work. Not worth it to take time off to play it IMO. I've been on and off for 5 years and am sick of PVP. It seems blizzard makes the game revolve around PVP and is their main focus. Don't even get me started on the A-hole players that grief and have the mob mentality when their boyfriends are with them in game.

Users who are viewing this thread