Waring for people with Convertible Mustangs

Dadz500

Established Member
Warning for people with Convertible Mustangs

I am in the process of trying to install my Lethal Performance H pipe which went in without issue. The issue however is that from the "suitcase" back, everything is different because of the bracing needed for the convertible. So any parts you buy for this car that have to do with the rear suspension (although I know the springs are the same) or exhaust or spoilers, etc, make sure they got your convertible. I wanted a Roush rear spoiler for my car, that also doesn't for the Vert because it is not cut for the 3rd brake light. Between the exhaust and spoiler and who knows if anything else is different it almost would not surprise me if Roush did not come out with a Convertible. They do not seem to like to make parts that are not going to work on all the cars. So maybe they stick to hardtops only this body style?Anyway - wanted to share this with anyone interested so they don't end up in the same situation as I am now in or you may be spending much more then you thought to have Custom Exhaust made, if they can even get it done with going over the convertible brace, if not, it would be too low and hit the ground all the time.My car now has the H Pipe installed and the shop before installing anything did not check for fitment and just started cutting as the instructions said to do. Was too late when they realized and the car had to be sent by flatbed to a Hotrod Muffler shop to see if he could build me something special.

Last edited:

chevpwr

Established Member
I have been in contact with magnanflow, they are in the process of retooling their cat-back exhaust for the verts. I have sent pics to Kooks also, as they told me that there wasn't any difference in the rear bracing of our verts. MBRP said that they were looking into it.
The Ford Racing (Borla) kits will supposedly work but they are only 2.5".

Last edited:

Dadz500

Established Member
Good to know others are reaching out to people. i too have told all the companies with which I have had issues. I am guessing they figured if it worked on the old two cars it would be the same on the two new models. I know there were certain things that didn't work on the last generation vert because of bracing but most of the stuff that the average owner does like exhaust did, and most of the manufacturers, I am guessing assumed it would still be fine.

Just sucks because I am sure there are some companies that won't bother making a specific part that I will end up wanting and it will have to be modified.

I did just speak to the exhaust shop and they were able to make the Magnaflow work, they just had to cut out a part for each tube and make a new one with the proper bends in place and then weld it all together. So I do now have my Lethal Performance H Pipe and my Magnaflow Competition performance mufflers on and it should sound really good. On my last 15' i had just the mufflers and it sounded great, nice and deep, not too loud and no drone. This car I wanted the H pipe just to make it a little deeper and louder. You can actually go to Lethal's site and hear what the H pipe and those mufflers sounds like because they do sell it as a package and it is cheaper to buy it like that then the full exhaust. I paid $750 for my Axle back Magnaflow kit (on eBay) and $200 for the H Pipe (from Lethal), so $950 for a complete exhaust isn't bad. If I didn't have the convertible issues it would have been a very inexpensive way to get a full system (headers back obviously)

Dadz500

Established Member
I have been in contact with magnanflow, they are in the process of retooling their cat-back exhaust for the verts. I have sent pics to Kooks also, as they told me that there wasn't any difference in the rear bracing of our verts. MBRP said that they were looking into it.
The Ford Racing (Borla) kits will supposedly work but they are only 2.5".

Do you have a sound clip of your car? I would love to hear what it sounds like and f it is too loud while using the stock mufflers. My guess is that it is not since I assume you want a system since you have been in contact with Magnaflow, Kooks and MBRP.

Dadz500

Established Member
Sounds amazing! I personally prefer an H Pipe just because it is tad deeper and has less rasp but that sounds really, really good. Mine is not as loud as that but sounds great, IMO. I just had my Wife drive it so I could hear it and I could still hear her at the front oh our neighborhood which is 1 mile away and then I could hear her getting on it on the main road as she drove past our neighborhood. So it is loud enough for that yet can be driven without too much attention if you short shift.

BTW- Love your car too. I was so torn between yellow and orange. My last car before the other 15' Mustang I had was a yellow 14' Cayman S and I had not yet owned an orange car in my life so I went that way but when seeing your car from the back with the black roof and everything, it just looks HOT!

You doing any suspension work to it? I have Steeda springs but am waiting for someone to come out with a good full kit with coil-overs, sway bars and all the needed IRS bushings. I am certain there will be many kits soon. I am hoping Maximum Motorsports comes out quick. I used their kit on my 93 Cobra and it was night/day difference and still very comfortable.

chevpwr

Established Member
I have the Eibach Pros, I don't think I could have it any lower with our Oklahoma roads.
But I did get something from Fedex today

ycOPPa.jpg

Dadz500

Established Member
Much needed! I need to get a set. I am running 315 Michelin PS2 SS but nothing beats street slicks.

Users who are viewing this thread