Wanted everyones opinion on selling/trading my car...

Cammin4V

Established Member
Right now i have a 97 Cobra with the mods in the sig. It runs ok, but ive recently spent a lot and owe a good amount of money. It still isnt as fast as i want it to be. I have the chance to trade a guy with a average built 95 Cobra w/ a supercharger. Its got forged pistons, 351W heads, intake, misc. bolt ons, a few suspension mods.

If i decide to go through with it, there will be some extra cash on his part to get my car, which would help pay off the debt. I would also probably sell the supercharger and pay off the rest of the debt. I have a 302 block and a 351 block sitting in my garage, i would probably build one and put a turbo on it after its all said and done.

Anyone had any experience with the 5.0L Cobras? Good? Bad? Suggestions on what i should do?

Thanks,
D

SVTINBLAK

Established Member
Personally,I think you would be happy with the Cobra...
Mine has a great tune on it,via Heath at Delkperformance in Lebanon Tn. If it has forged pistons,your already ahead of me!
The EEC isn't ALL that bad of a computer,despite what you might of heard! It does require a good tuner to get it running right,but it can be done.The power I'm making isn't all that bad,considering it's pretty much stock everything.The A/F ratio is safe,but keep in mind I dont take it up past about 5500 rpm. I'm kinda on the Edge...it does begin to lean out @5900 RPM,I still have the 24's in her....
I have a couple of friends that have a 89 GT. and a 94 GT that are both pushing close to 600 rwhp(if not more)! However they have all forged internals and a great fuel system in them.The 302 block is a great little block,but you can break it eventually.Hopefully some guys on here will give you some more feed back.....I personally think you would be happy with it and have room for more potential...sounds like you would be half way there already with that car...don't sale the blower! You got the potential to build a real monster if you want too!Let me know what you do!
:beer:

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
I had alot of great experiences in my 94 cobra. I always get "how'd you get that 5.0 in there?" The 94-95's are far and few between in good shape. Mine is in excellent shape, but from constant road racing and autocross tracks I had to weld up all the rear suspension mounting points as they started to crack and pull apart. Parts are easy to come by as the 302/351 were popular for many years, but some parts are hard to come by ie stock fuel rails, taillamps and the cobra rear trunklid. Get the 95 you won't regret it.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
your limited to about 500rwhp on a 302. The block will split in half before you break anything else in the motor. I say you keep the 97 and turbo it.

Keep the 97, you got a forged bottom end. Spray the hell out of it or boost it...

you've got the platform..

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
ps get a good set of afr's or twisted wedge heads. The J4J1 processor was a bit finicky, but after alot of tuning (6 months) I got it to idle and drive like stock. First thing to remove in the processor is the shift retard option ford incorporated to save the venerable T-5 plus a few other simple items.

Users who are viewing this thread