Want to widen my CS/GT wheels 1" to 2"

robloz50

Established Member
I dont know much about Backspacing and offsets etc. So I need some advice on any thing to look out for if I decide to widen my rear CS wheels to fit a fat tire and also to be a little diferent from the norm. I know they are 8.5" wide which really sucks but I would really like to widen them to 10 or 10.5" wide and fit a 295-305 tire on the rear.
Would this idea work or will I just be jumping into more problems down the line?
Thanks in advance!

BV600

Established Member
Weldcraft widens wheels, about $250 a wheel
Im not sure the offset on the CS wheels. There is a thread where someone put spacers on the CS wheels to push them out a little and it looks pretty good. With that said you could probablly go to a 10" wide, but id get some longer studs if running spacers

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
If you use 1" bolt on spacers you don't need longer studs.

I contacted weldcraft about my cs wheels already. 247$ each to widen 1".

grnenvy

Established Member
With the right offset u can fit a 12.0 rim on the back. I'm running SS wheels and weldcraft did the work. U need to get under the car and do some measuring. Like the last post u maybe able to run a spacer so u can even go wider. I wouldn't waste my money on 1in.

robloz50

Established Member
Thanks Guys,
grnevy You are right if I decide to do it I will widen them by 2 inches.

JDV what tires are you planning to run if you do widened them?

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Yep, it's why I prolly won't do it now.
I'd like to run 295's in back and 255's in front but won't pay to widen fronts if uneven decide to spend that money. Not likely right now.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
That would be me and here's the thread.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/808494-wheel-spacers-gtcs.html

I like the wheels as well and how they didnt line up with the exaggerated fender lines bothered me. Looks much better for now. Too many other projects to buy rims and tires right now... maybe after the tires are warn out at like what 15k? lol

Any issues with vibration with those spacers? Did you find that 1" was the way to go (versus 1.25 or 1.5")?

Last edited:

fordrevhead

Established Member
Ni vibrations at all at normal speeds, havent tracked it, just get good hubcentrics, remove the rotor retainer rings so the spacers sit flat, use a torque wrench, retorque after 50 miles or so, etc. I did notice a little improvement in cornering as well.

Very happy with the 1". I have fooled with spacers in the past most to double check backspacings etc or to run some temporary wheels. I dont like going beyond 1". Visually, 1" is perfect in the front... could have maybe went 1-1/4" in the back but I thought it might affect the cornering since all four tires and wheels are identical.

Next summer I may also change the springs, not for looks but primarily to get rid of some dive on aggressive gassing and braking. So I had this in mind as well.

The pick in my avatar is stock... guess I need to change that.

Unfortunately it is parked due to ice, snow and salt so...

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Ni vibrations at all at normal speeds, havent tracked it, just get good hubcentrics, remove the rotor retainer rings so the spacers sit flat, use a torque wrench, retorque after 50 miles or so, etc. I did notice a little improvement in cornering as well.

Very happy with the 1". I have fooled with spacers in the past most to double check backspacings etc or to run some temporary wheels. I dont like going beyond 1". Visually, 1" is perfect in the front... could have maybe went 1-1/4" in the back but I thought it might affect the cornering since all four tires and wheels are identical.

Next summer I may also change the springs, not for looks but primarily to get rid of some dive on aggressive gassing and braking. So I had this in mind as well.

The pick in my avatar is stock... guess I need to change that.

Unfortunately it is parked due to ice, snow and salt so...

Thanks for the info. So, if someone was looking to fill out the wheel well, you'd recommend 1.25 for the back and 1.00 for the front?

I have the factory black 19" rims. I'm not positive, but I believe the rims are the same size as yours, but the tires are a tad thinner. Or, they might be the same size, and it's the Brembo tires I'm thinking of . . .

Sorry, OP, for the hijack, but this might be a more affordable alternative for you, too.

Last edited:

fordrevhead

Established Member
As I told the OP in a PM, I have seen and heard that most stock rear diffs are biased to the drivers side. So, if you get a pro panhard bar kit you can adjust and go 1.25" on the back. My rear was off about 1/4". I wouldnt go any wider than 1.25" on the rear and 1" on the front especially if you ever consider springs and do any aggressive track style driving. IMO wheels that stick out too far are even worse than wheels that are in too far lol. I am happy with 1" all around. I have a gravel driveway and gravel in my work parking lot so I think a lot about throwing stones on my paint. You will have to trim the stock front studs (lead ins only) if you go with the added stud style spacers and dont go to longer studs.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
I will prolly be doing wheel spacers when I lower mine. Lowered cars need the wheels to sit farther out moreso than stock if you ask me. Vice versa too.

Later on I'll decide weather to widen stock or go to 18". 19" tires are expensive.

fordrevhead

Established Member
Obviously, I just meant that if you space out too far, then lower, then hard corner, you may have issues.

Merry Christmas all!

Users who are viewing this thread