Want to tune it myself

03Steve

Established Member
Alright, I want a laptop monitoring/tuning setup for OBD-II. Here's the specifics that I'm looking for:

1. A realtime serial interface between my laptop and the PCM.
2. A/F ratio monitoring.
3. Fuel injector pulse width, e-timing, and other EDITING capabilites.
4. Compatible with Ford and GM.

I am a senior industrial/robotics programmer by trade, I'd like to learn more about vehicle tuning and available software. I appreciate any information in advance!

Steve

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Its good to want things it builds character.
bj.gif
bj.gif

Take a look at this it will help you with your Fuel injector pulse width, e-timing, and other EDITING capabilites requirement. It will also bring you to the answers to some of your other questions.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15387
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14679

The main product you want to look in is the mafterburn which is built by mjchip he will be able to help you more. The mafterburn does not work correctly on the 03 Cobras and there is suppose to be a new product coming out I think he is going to call it afterburn.

Last edited:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Hi,

Just a quick clarification:

The MAFterburner is a serial-tunable mass-air flow calibrator. In this capacity it works just fine on the '03 Cobra and any other vehicle which uses an analog mass-air flow sensor. When I posted that the MAFterburner didn't work to adjust WOT air/fuel ratio on my '03 WITH INCREASED BOOST, it was unknown at that time that Ford altered it's fuel control strategy for the 2002+ model year Mustangs (includes 2003 Cobra of course). So, the reason that the MAFterburner did not work was because the increased boost caused the calculated load to increase to the point that the fuel tables saturate. So, no matter what you do with the mass-air signal (at WOT when running increased boost), there is simply no more fuel to be had. On a stock boosted '03, the MAFterburner works just fine as an air/fuel tuner. On an '03 running increased boost, the MAFterburner still works to recurve the meter BUT has no impact on WOT air/fuel ratio due to the PCM's transient fuel control strategy. This problem is not with the MAF or the MAF calibration but with the new fuel control strategy programmed into the PCM. In order to fix this, the tuners needed to learn how to access new PCM data memory locations and expand the limits on the fuel tables.

My way of dealing with this for the DIY'er was to finish development on my 2nd product which is the Afterburner-eFPC or just "eFPC" for short. This is a serial-tunable, electronic Fuel Pressure Controller for EFI cars with returnless fuel systems. The product is in beta test now and I've got about five of them running on BIG HP cars with zero problems. This product will be released for sale at the end of November or early December.

For more information on my products, please check our website: www.mafterburner.com or www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/mafterburner

If you have any further questions, please feel free to email me at: [email protected]

Best,

MJ

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Will eFPC be a replacement product for the Mafterburner of an additional add-on? If there are two separate products does that mean you have to calibrate the two systems to perform an optimum tune?

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
Mike Glover is surely working on a 03 Cobra calibration for the tweecer. The Tweecer RT is really cool. I use it on my 87. Way better than the PMS I used to have. The EEC-Tuner camp might also have a solution. They both offer the ultimate in adjustability, but then again to much control can be a bad thing if your not careful. You would have to join the tweecer yahoo groups list to ask about what the status was on 03 cobras. I also think hes working on a calibration for 2nd gen L's.

www.tweecer.com
http://www.eec-tuner.com/

Last edited:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
Will eFPC be a replacement product for the Mafterburner of an additional add-on? If there are two separate products does that mean you have to calibrate the two systems to perform an optimum tune?

Hi,

They are two separate products with different purposes. On an '03 Cobra, if you are looking to improve your air/fuel ratio at WOT when running increased boost, the eFPC is what you want. If you install some intake components that throw off the MAF transfer function, then the MAFterburner is what you want.

I have both on my car and they work great in conjunction with one another.

Our next product is the ETA - Electronic Timing Adjuster. We begin work on that next month and are targeting a late spring product release.

Best,

MJ

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
I won't get into the story behind this, but if your going to buy that, build it yourself for free. If you want something premade, don't buy it from him, he shouldn't even be marketing it. He took the plans from the DIY group. From what I know, if your going to spend that kind of money, there are other solutions for not much more that are more accurate than the DIY solution. Long story, lots of politics, prob don't want it here.

Users who are viewing this thread