Want to take tune out of computer

03auto

Established Member
I put a stock motor with headers and no cats, in a 2000 GT car that used to have a blower. And now it seems to be loading up on fuel. It had a piggyback chip on the computer and I pulled it, but also was told it had a tune in computer. Want to take the tune out to see if this will help with fuel problem. Do I have to take it to a shop or can I do it, in anyway?

01yellercobra

Established Member
You'll have to take it to Ford to have it reflashed. Did you put in a stock MAF and injectors?

03auto

Established Member
It does have stock injectors and the MAF, Seems to be stock not sure though because it is a aluminum housing. Would a programmer pull it out also does that sound right it having a chip and a program. It wouldnt hardly run at all untill I pulled the chip.

I just checked again the injector color is a yellowish orage color which should be 19s

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Might be easier just to get a junkyard computer and swap in. If its good then it would have a stock tune and be cheaper than having ford reflash yours back to stock.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea I believe so, looks like you have a visit to the dealer either way...

01yellercobra

Established Member
It does have stock injectors and the MAF, Seems to be stock not sure though because it is a aluminum housing. Would a programmer pull it out also does that sound right it having a chip and a program. It wouldnt hardly run at all untill I pulled the chip.

I just checked again the injector color is a yellowish orage color which should be 19s

The stock MAF housing is plastic. However, the stock sensor can be installed in an aftermarket housing. Make sure the sensor is stock. Otherwise it won't run right with a stock tune.

01yellercobra

Established Member
How can you tell it's running rich? Are you datalogging or going by the smell? If it's the smell that's always going to be there since you don't have cats. It looks like you're either going to have to get the ECU reflashed by a dealer or get a new tune made for the car.

Users who are viewing this thread