Want to make a "custom" h pipe

Mark99GT

Established Member
I have the 5 piece ss slip-fit Bassani x pipe with cats and o/r flow tubes. I want to try an h pipe, but don't want to spend a fortune on a whole new ss catted h pipe (MRT is all I see available for like over $1000) and the hassle of installing it. I was thinking I could get an o/r JBA h pipe (listed for a 99-04 GT/Mach1/Cobra) while they're still available and just have an exhaust shop cut it to the Bassani x piece length, then have them weld on slip fit adapters and a hanger bracket. Sounds fairly straightforward to me. Then I could swap between an x or h pipe by only swapping that section and have it catted or o/r. Best of all worlds. I'm assuming the connection to the mufflers and the spacing of the tubing before the x/h would be the same on the Bassani and JBA, even though the Bassani is for a 97 Cobra and the JBA is for a 99+. Is there anything I'm not thinking of/missing here?

Mark99GT

Established Member
How often do you plan on swapping?
Not often, but I haven't completely figured out the exhaust yet and the sound I like. I'm waiting for a Spintech pro street system to be delivered and may or may not want to run it with cats depending on the volume, and it may sound better with an H than an X. Each time I hear an exhaust I really like (on YouTube) it ends up having an H pipe, but I have the X. Don't get me wrong I don't hate the Bassani X, it sounds good but I may like the H sound better. So some flexibility in the system would be nice to find the right combo.

robvas

Established Member
I recently went from an X to a H, the X was pretty nasty sounding when you got on it. The H is a lot more tamer, so I know what you mean. But the main reason I switched was to go catted, and the H pipe was $50 cheaper.

Cobra52898

Muscle/Performance car junkie
Established Member
An H-pipe tends to give a deeper throatier exhaust note, reminiscent of Muscle cars from the 60’s. Where as an X-pipe tends to give a higher and more raspy exhaust note. More akin to a NASCAR. That’s how the author of an article I read about performance exhaust systems, described the sound difference between the two. I tend to agree with him.

Users who are viewing this thread