Want to go E85 but have some questions

SouthernG35

Established Member
I have been giving a lot of consideration on going E85 over the last several weeks. I have E85 all over the place in my area so filling will be no issue. I have had E85 in another car (single turbo G35) before and love the stuff. But it seems very new to everyone in the Cobra scene and would like to get some advise on my proposed setup. I currently have a stock block/stock heads 2.2 KB set up at 19lbs. with your basic fuel mods ie. BAP and 60’s. I do have LT’s.
Here is what I was thinking for my set up. Lethal budget return set up with twin Walbro 255’s and 80’s. Doing away with the Bap and FPDM.
My main questions are:

1.What boost should I run for great power but decent reliability? 22#? (This is not a DD)
2.What HP and TQ number should I realistically expect with 22#?
3.Is the fuel system I mentioned sufficient?
4.If I run my tank almost too empty can I change my pulley back to 19# and run 93 safely with my current tune without ill effects?

The tuner I use seems kind of leery of going E85 and keeps saying to do a race gas tune and use it if I want more HP and TQ every now and then. He is a very reputable tuner and is very well known in this scene but he kind of keeps balking at the idea and it kind of scares me. What should I do?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Teej281

Established Member
I have been giving a lot of consideration on going E85 over the last several weeks. I have E85 all over the place in my area so filling will be no issue. I have had E85 in another car (single turbo G35) before and love the stuff. But it seems very new to everyone in the Cobra scene and would like to get some advise on my proposed setup. I currently have a stock block/stock heads 2.2 KB set up at 19lbs. with your basic fuel mods ie. BAP and 60’s. I do have LT’s.
Here is what I was thinking for my set up. Lethal budget return set up with twin Walbro 255’s and 80’s. Doing away with the Bap and FPDM.
My main questions are:

1.What boost should I run for great power but decent reliability? 22#? (This is not a DD) You can run any boost you want to really. Just gotta have the tune for it. I'd make sure that the boost is within efficiency range of your blower though. That will net you the best results.
2.What HP and TQ number should I realistically expect with 22#? No idea on this. There is another member running a similar setup that I think is making in the upper 600's(Like 680 or so IINM)
3.Is the fuel system I mentioned sufficient? I'd be running 3 pumps in your setup unless you're keeping the BAP in place. Then you might be fine. But the 80's should suffice for you. Might want to substitute the twin Walbro's for twin Aeromotive stealth pumps. That would be plenty of fuel for you based off of numbers that I've seen in regards to flow from the pumps.
4.If I run my tank almost too empty can I change my pulley back to 19# and run 93 safely with my current tune without ill effects?The tune will be E85 specific. If you have the E85 tune and the 93 tune, you can just switch. But if youre asking about putting 93 in the tank and lowering the boost back down, that would be a no go. The tune would be way off for that situation.

The tuner I use seems kind of leery of going E85 and keeps saying to do a race gas tune and use it if I want more HP and TQ every now and then. He is a very reputable tuner and is very well known in this scene but he kind of keeps balking at the idea and it kind of scares me. What should I do?

Thanks for your input.

Bolds are the answers I could come up with. And E85 will make more power than race gas. Just saying. He might just be uncomfortable tuning for it because he is not familiar with tuning with it yet and may be worried he might fudge it up.

Good luck though! If you do go for it, post up results!

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
I'm wondering if the lethal budget return with stryker / aeromotive pumps would be enough for e85, weak points being the stock lines and rails? The pumps would be plenty for e85 a ts and 22-23 psi from what i've seen the pumps are capable of. Just not sure if stock lines and rails absolutely need to be upgraded at a power level of 700-750.

Chances50

Established Member
I decided to go e85 on my car I did a cheapo setup with a cobra hat twin stealth pump -8 supply -6 return aeromotive regulator with stock rails. My fuel system "should" support well over 800 only thing I'd worry about I'd the rails. But for you I think you'll be safe with the stock rails doubt you'll make much over 700.

SouthernG35

Established Member
Pulling the trigger on the Lethal duel pump return system with the division x stryker pump upgrade along with 80# injectors. That should be all the fuel I need for my little KB 2.2. Hope to hit high 600 at 21#.

Users who are viewing this thread