Want to build 5.4 lightning block, question?

9T5SVT

Established Member
I have a 2000 L block that i would like to build with a set of cobra 4v heads. First, will these heads fit on a 5.4 block? And is there any difference in the lightning 5.4 block and the 2000 cobra R 5.4 block? My thought is to maybe build this engine and put it in a sn-95 mustang. Has anyone actually done this or is this a losing battle from the get go? Any assistance or tips would be great. Thanks

SVT~frenchie

Will the mods ever end?
Established Member
Do a search on here, nloc.net, or lightningrodder.com there has been plenty of ppl that have done a 4v swap. From what I have seen people just try to get the 4v heads off a navigator (it has a 5.4 4v).

9T5SVT

Established Member
Do a search on here, nloc.net, or lightningrodder.com there has been plenty of ppl that have done a 4v swap. From what I have seen people just try to get the 4v heads off a navigator (it has a 5.4 4v).

Ahh, didn't even think of that one. That was going to be my next question, if the 4v heads do fit, what front cover would I use, but I know the answer now. Thanks for the info and I'll check the sites out.

LSUstang05

Established Member
If you use the Lightning blower, get ready to get your sawzall out because the motor will stick WAY up in the air with how the intake runs on it.

9T5SVT

Established Member
If you use the Lightning blower, get ready to get your sawzall out because the motor will stick WAY up in the air with how the intake runs on it.

Wasn't planning on using the lightning blower on it that for that reason. Don't want anything sticking out of the hood, unless a cowl hood would cover it up. But I don't think you can use the lightning blower if you have the 4v set up on there anyway?

txyaloo

Established Member
This will be an expensive swap. Karkraft makes an adapter to allow you to use the Lightning blower with 4V heads. I don't think the swap is worth the money, but that's JMO.

9T5SVT

Established Member
This will be an expensive swap. Karkraft makes an adapter to allow you to use the Lightning blower with 4V heads. I don't think the swap is worth the money, but that's JMO.

Are you saying it's expensive to use the lightning blower? That's not my plan, I was just thinking of putting the 5.4 back together with 4v heads instead of using the 2v lightning heads with no supercharger. I've got the block, pistons, rods and all that, but no accessories. I actually have the stage 2 lightning heads, think there just ported a little bit, but thought it would be better to go with the 4v heads. But also, I guess I could use the
2v heads, but I still would not put the s/c on. I'm going to try searching and see who's done this and what they reccomend.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Are you saying it's expensive to use the lightning blower? That's not my plan, I was just thinking of putting the 5.4 back together with 4v heads instead of using the 2v lightning heads with no supercharger. I've got the block, pistons, rods and all that, but no accessories. I actually have the stage 2 lightning heads, think there just ported a little bit, but thought it would be better to go with the 4v heads. But also, I guess I could use the
2v heads, but I still would not put the s/c on. I'm going to try searching and see who's done this and what they reccomend.

I see no benefit to building an NA 5.4L regardless of having 4v heads. Not only will this be expensive and time consuming but a properly built 4.6L with a blower will make ALOT more power. :read:

However, if you do want to build a 4v lightning powerplant I'd suggest pulling a motor from a 02' navigator and throwing a KB on there. Just my 2 cents....

txyaloo

Established Member

What I'm saying is the whole swap will be expensive. The people I know that have done it on mustangs have spent a ton of money and end up with a blower sticking out of their hood. The people that have done it on Lightnings have spent a ton of money but end up with a bad ass block.

You would end up with more HP/TQ if you put a blower on your 4.6 than you will from an N/A 5.4. If I were doing the Lightning 5.4/4V swap into a mustang, I'd go all the way and install a blower too.

9T5SVT

Established Member
I see no benefit to building an NA 5.4L regardless of having 4v heads. Not only will this be expensive and time consuming but a properly built 4.6L with a blower will make ALOT more power. :read:

However, if you do want to build a 4v lightning powerplant I'd suggest pulling a motor from a 02' navigator and throwing a KB on there. Just my 2 cents....

I'm not trying to make rediculous hp or anything, just wanted to do something different. I have the 2000 Lightning block with the pistons, rods and crank still attached, so I wouldn't go out and spend more money to buy a Nav block to od the same. The block I have needs all the supporting hardware, and I do believe that it might be a little more expensive than I thought. And as far as a power adder, was thinking maybe nitrous in the future, if this all works out. I mean the 2000 Cobra R made what, 380hp, that's not too shabby for na. Still don't know if this is all going to happen, just getting ideas and how complicated it would be.

Fuerza

Established Member
Check out birdmans thread in the 99/01 cobra forum. He built up a NA 5.4 4V and put it in a 99-04 BIW. He has also done an 5.4 4V swap for a 98 Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread