Want my Cobra to handle better!

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
im not your uncle, nephew

I'm not your nephew, guy

OP What kind of handling improvements are you looking for? Do you want to improve the handling for straight lines, twisties, or just a balance of an overall better street?

Last edited:

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
I'm trying to save you money and genuinely determine your needs friend. I'm not going to tell you part X will make your car faster or handle better. You are comparing the handling characteristics of your front wheel drive, 4/6 cylinder, +3,000-lb sedan to your Cobra. That doesn't help me understand what you're looking for in a car. If you don't want help, but a new parts list instead, suit yourself.

Am I the only person who thinks mu22stang has a point? :shrug:

OP if you think your Jetta embarrasses your Cobra, try my S6 on for size. It makes me feel horrible about my Cobra after a few months behind the wheel of that. Quattro > Front wheel.

IMHO i'd rather listen to someone looking to save me money than people telling me to go out and spend spend spend. Usually the people looking to save you money, don't have much to gain either way in the situation.

Good luck. :beer:

mach1033

Established Member
I love handling more than just straight line performance myself and this is what I did to my vert. FTBR's complete IRS kit, MM front and rear coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, MM front bumpsteer, MM K-member with oil filter relocation, MM A -arms with delrin bushings, Kenny Brown full subs, MM strut tower brace and my final mod is gonna be a rear shock tower brace if and when a certain member decides to make one for verts. As it is right now the handling is out of this world. The tubular A arms really made a difference when it comes to cornering. It took me awhile to even get use to the way my car would react as soon as I turn the wheel. The response was instant and it just bit the corners if you can understand what I'm saying.

nooner

Established Member
I love handling more than just straight line performance myself and this is what I did to my vert. FTBR's complete IRS kit, MM front and rear coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, MM front bumpsteer, MM K-member with oil filter relocation, MM A -arms with delrin bushings, Kenny Brown full subs, MM strut tower brace and my final mod is gonna be a rear shock tower brace if and when a certain member decides to make one for verts. As it is right now the handling is out of this world. The tubular A arms really made a difference when it comes to cornering. It took me awhile to even get use to the way my car would react as soon as I turn the wheel. The response was instant and it just bit the corners if you can understand what I'm saying.
I'm currently conversing with Maximum Motorsports about going to a coil-over setup to determine what would be best for my application. Which A-arms did you go with: non-offset (.75") or forward-offset arms (1.5")? Is the offset noticeable in appearance? Do you have a side view of your car that I could see?

Quoting a Maximum Motorsports rep...
To get good handling out of the car, you need to remove as much weight from the front tires as possible and shift it to the rear tires. That is the main affect of moving the front wheels forward. It shifts weight off of them and onto the rear tires. This reduces understeer, increases forward grip as there is more weight on the rear tires, improves braking, and increases caster which improves steering feel. Moving the front tires forward only 0.75" changes the weight distribution about 1%.

...the increased caster will result in increased camber when the wheels are turned which should increase grip at the front, and probably improve turn-in as you noted. With our cars we usually have bigger grippier back tires so any grip we gain at the front will help tremendously in cornering.

To the OP: if you have drag radials on the back (I didn't see that you said what you have), that alone is going to hurt your handling. Drag radials are for going in a straight line, not around corners.

mach1033

Established Member
I'm currently conversing with Maximum Motorsports about going to a coil-over setup to determine what would be best for my application. Which A-arms did you go with: non-offset (.75") or forward-offset arms (1.5")? Is the offset noticeable in appearance? Do you have a side view of your car that I could see?

To get good handling out of the car, you need to remove as much weight from the front tires as possible and shift it to the rear tires. That is the main affect of moving the front wheels forward. It shifts weight off of them and onto the rear tires. This reduces understeer, increases forward grip as there is more weight on the rear tires, improves braking, and increases caster which improves steering feel. Moving the front tires forward only 0.75" changes the weight distribution about 1%.

...the increased caster will result in increased camber when the wheels are turned which should increase grip at the front, and probably improve turn-in as you noted. With our cars we usually have bigger grippier back tires so any grip we gain at the front will help tremendously in cornering.

To the OP: if you have drag radials on the back (I didn't see that you said what you have), that alone is going to hurt your handling. Drag radials are for going in a straight line, not around corners.
Yup I will post some pics when I get home from work.

KILRSVT

Established Member
Pretty much any mustang from 79-04 is the same chassis you need a lot of time and money to make these things handle..... But if you can drive a mustang around the track you can pretty much drive anything. I went to an autocross in my mustang and ran 51.03 on crappy sumihomos. Fastest time that's day was 36.30. Fastest vett that day was 41.04 c5 z06 super modified . I ran a 46.10 with c5 zo6 on Hoosiers and the chik who lend me her vett been autocrossing for 5 years and ran a 45.37. Good luck with your suspension build you should get that rear bump steer figured out and go from there

SuperSport01

Established Member
How much better do you want it to handle is the real question. Good springs and shocks are a start. Coilovers would be even better. Agent47 or GriggsRacing SLA setup would be even better than that.

mach1033

Established Member

Here are some pics of my car with the stock springs and then with the coilover upgrade.
269144[/ATTACH]"]
cobra057.jpg

269146[/ATTACH]"]
cobrapics018.jpg

269148[/ATTACH]"]
cobrapics017.jpg

269150[/ATTACH]"]
cobra037.jpg

269152[/ATTACH]"]
cobra036.jpg

Attachments

• cobra057.jpg
    cobra057.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 52
  • cobrapics018.jpg
    cobrapics018.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 39
  • cobrapics017.jpg
    cobrapics017.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 55
  • cobra037.jpg
    cobra037.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 54
  • cobra036.jpg
    cobra036.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
269156[/ATTACH]"]
Picture018.jpg

269158[/ATTACH]"]
Picture017.jpg

269160[/ATTACH]"]
Picture005.jpg

269162[/ATTACH]"]
Picture007.jpg

269164[/ATTACH]"]
cobra064.jpg

269166[/ATTACH]"]
cobra061.jpg

269168[/ATTACH]"]
cobra055.jpg

Attachments

• Picture018.jpg
    Picture018.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Picture017.jpg
    Picture017.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 39
  • Picture005.jpg
    Picture005.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Picture007.jpg
    Picture007.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 46
  • cobra064.jpg
    cobra064.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 51
  • cobra061.jpg
    cobra061.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 46
  • cobra055.jpg
    cobra055.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 52

mach1033

Established Member
This is a must for a vert. I have absolutely zero flex with my car.
269176[/ATTACH]"]
cobra099.jpg

Attachments

• cobra099.jpg
    cobra099.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 44

nooner

Established Member
Thanks! You didn't say if your A-arms moved the tires forward .75" or 1.5" but I can't tell the difference. The strut tower brace looks close to the s/c. How much clearance is there? Did the coil-overs affect your ride?

mach1033

Established Member
Thanks! You didn't say if your A-arms moved the tires forward .75" or 1.5" but I can't tell the difference. The strut tower brace looks close to the s/c. How much clearance is there? Did the coil-overs affect your ride?

My bad the A- arms moved my wheels outward. It affected my ride for the better. Front rate is 350 and the rear is 500. Here is a front view of the brace.
269233[/ATTACH]"]
cobra100.jpg

Attachments

• cobra100.jpg
    cobra100.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 42

mach1033

Established Member
When I had them installed initially I had almost a 3 inch drop and the front tires tucked in nicely. Well I hit a raised manhole cover in Manhatten like an idiot and wrecked my stock K member. Thats when I went with the MM K member and A arms. I couldnt drop my car that low even if I wanted to cause my tire would hit the fender.

Users who are viewing this thread