Wanna make your car MUCH lighter?

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
http://www.hairyglass.com/mustang.html

This guy sells basically our entire car(#'s 690-696 on that page) in fiberglass or carbon fiber. The prices listed are for the fiberglass versions, but he will do CF upon request, and for a higher price. It does say 99-2k2 cobra's, but im sure it wouldnt take a whole boat load of modification to make it 03-04 style.

Im not promoting him, ive never used him before, but i just thought it was interesting. Its a great idea for those on here looking to make a pure drag car.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
That's cool stuff, but I think it's basically silhouette pieces made to be attached to tube frame cars, like Funny Cars. I don't think most of it will actually attach and function with our unibody.

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
I think theres certain pieces that could be made to work, like the door skins, trunk lid, and door trim. I know our doors weigh a ton, i wonder how much a CF re-skinning would save?

PhillyCobra

Established Member
I think most of the weight in the doors is structure, side impact bars and windows and their mechanism. I would guess reskinning would probably only save a few pounds in and of itself. The trunk lid is already fiberglass and pretty light. I read of someone who replaced the fiberglass hood with a CF unit and it apparently only saved about 15 pounds.

I think most of the pork in our car is in the old unibody and mechanicals.

svtxchinoy

Established Member
Sounds interesting, but highly costly. I was also thinking about a CF hood, maybe only 15 lbs, but, thats 15lbs. less to work with. Also looking into lighter rims and possibly swapping out the stock seats with Recaro or Cobra seats. Heard those will save some extra pounds.

Users who are viewing this thread