wallstreet hates Ford

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I think a relevant question is how does a guy who worked in the office furniture industry for 30+ years, then as a collegiate athletic director for a few, end up at the helm of a ~$150B a year iconic car company?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I think a relevant question is how does a guy who worked in the office furniture industry for 30+ years, then as a collegiate athletic director for a few, end up at the helm of a ~$150B a year iconic car company?
Because when everything is on the up and up, anyone with a halfway decent resume is looked at like they can sustain whats going on.

Problem is that a CEo needs to be extremely dynamic, pragmatic and above all calm. Rational decision making is what led Ford from a bad place to one of the better car companies in the world.

Mulally shedding Land Rover, Jaguar and Volvo freed the company. The refocus on core Ford is why Ford cars and trucks are as good as they are now. He made unflinching but necessary decisions to keep Ford liquid during the great recession and avoid needing a bailout.

Alan set a hell of a precedent, but not having a legitimate successor to him is all on Bill Ford. I said it before, Ill say it again, keep Jim Farley the **** away from being CEO. I get the feeling he's the second coming of Jaques Nasser.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Because when everything is on the up and up, anyone with a halfway decent resume is looked at like they can sustain whats going on.

Problem is that a CEo needs to be extremely dynamic, pragmatic and above all calm. Rational decision making is what led Ford from a bad place to one of the better car companies in the world.

Mulally shedding Land Rover, Jaguar and Volvo freed the company. The refocus on core Ford is why Ford cars and trucks are as good as they are now. He made unflinching but necessary decisions to keep Ford liquid during the great recession and avoid needing a bailout.

Alan set a hell of a precedent, but not having a legitimate successor to him is all on Bill Ford. I said it before, Ill say it again, keep Jim Farley the **** away from being CEO. I get the feeling he's the second coming of Jaques Nasser.

Couldn't agree more

I seriously question Bill Ford's decision around Hackett's elevation to the the top spot. Seeing a reversal in fortune of this magnitude in such a short period of time post-Mullaly sheds lights on the reported toxic culture within Ford's C-suite. Mullaly did a great job of motivating people to work together, but seemingly wasn't able to completely rid FoMoCo of it. That's purely my opinion though.

Unexpectedly losing Raj Nair was probably a big kick to the balls of the succession plan as well.

vortecd

Established Member

The furniture company he worked for is Steelcase where I work. He was on the board when he was at Steelcase so his foot was way in the door

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The furniture company he worked for is Steelcase where I work. He was on the board when he was at Steelcase so his foot was way in the door

All I was getting at is for someone from such a small company, with no real complex manufacturing experience to ascend as quickly as he did, is very unusual.

Having the last name Hackett is probably appropriate, as he made a career out of cutting and restructuring. We'll quickly see if he can make it running a business orders of magnitude larger and more complex than Steelcase.

Users who are viewing this thread