Walked (limped past) an 05 viper at 130+

03cobra4speed'n

Established Member
My car had been in the shop for over a year (see my horror story post about the $3K head port/CAM job that went bad), and I just got it back a week ago. Sean Ellis at SoCalTuning still has a "break-in Tune" on and said NOT to go over 4,000 RPM (yeah right) and no racing until the 500 mile point AND the final tune.

I did great all weekend idling everywhere and occasionally puking gas out the tailpipes and listening to the long tube headers growl through the bassani pipes) and was on my way down to Superior Automotive to have them finish everything up - the cobra was running like crap (found out later my computer was bad and was arguing with the diablo chip).

Anyway, I was getting on the freeway behind an almost-new flawless black viper and had to do it......

I merged behind the viper, grabbed 2nd and started slamming gears and pedals.... The guy in the viper got on hard it about the time my headlights came even with his rear bumper (man those cars sound nice from behind!), but I was probably 15mph faster than him already doing 55-60, so I zipped by him and he gave chase.....traffic stopped us at about 120 with me 4-5 car lengths in front.

I hit the brakes HARD to keep from hitting guys doing 65 and eased back to the viper (brembo 4 piston upgrade and cross-drilled rotors work great!)

It was an older guy (early 70's, maybe??), who smiled, gave me the thumbs up, then raced his engine a few times.

Of course I was game, so I revved back and as I was reaching back down into 3rd gear, he took off and pulled a blazing 2-3 cars on me before I even had my clutch engaged.

I went through 3rd, 4th and into 5th and was inches from his rear bumper at 135 when we hit traffic and I toasted my brakes getting back down to 70.

Sounds inconclusive since I was behind, but remember TWO IMPORTANT things:

1. I was behind to start and caught up.
2. I'm on a brand-spanking-new rebuilt engine with a weak tune and I shifted at 5,000 RPM (instead of my usual 6500+).

It was a blast, but Sean at SoCalTuning seemed a little pissed that I ran the new engine so hard!

Final tune tonight, and the 15lb pulley comes off and the 17lb goes back on, then we'll see how this baby runs!

Look for me on the SoCal freeways this weekend!

Nvp1986

Established Member
I am not sure what the tune will do to the mix but I have heard that it is good to run an engine hard while the rings still have a rough surface to them. Something about gasses pushing them out so they push hard against the wall of the cylinder and seat. I will see if I can find the link, I think it was for motorcycles or something but it made sense when I read it and it seems the same would apply to a car. Anyhow it sounds like you had fun, now hurry up and get that tune so you can really get on it. :)

Edit: This is what I was referring to.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Last edited:

Lord Warlock

Established Member
I usually take it easy on fresh rebuilds, keeping it below 4500 in 4th or higher gears. But it really doesn't make that much difference once you've gone 300-500 miles. By that time you can occasionally "shake it down" occasionally without fear of messing things up.
Don't get me wrong when i say this, but the viper was probably playing with you a bit instead of trying to beat you. Most of us "old" guys will only use as much gas as is necessary to stay ahead slightly. When I race, (rare but it happens) once i get a car length on you I'll start backing off the gas if I'm exceeding 100mph. After all, i don't need to embarrass anyone, and backing off at 100 is much easier than doing so at 140. All i want to do is win by a fender to a car length, any more is just overkill unless at a track. Vipers can be quite nasty if they want to be. But they can be beat occasionally. An 03 or 04 cobra should be able to challenge a viper at speeds less than 120.

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
Hell, I'm 50 and when I run somebody it's an all out attempt to annialate them. No pussy footing around for me. Ya better have something and be on your game with me cause I AIN'T playin'. I expect the same treatment from my competition as well. Otherwise, what the hell are we doin' it for?

Lord Warlock

Established Member
nah, with a new clutch I'd drive it like normal as soon as it dropped off the lift. Course I'm not that rough on clutches, they normally last 50k each with me.

Nothing wrong with annihilation if thats what you're into, but I rarely race much above 120mph, mainly because 90 percent of my street runs are from a stop. (I don't believe in racing from a roll) and to tell the truth, I don't race folks I expect to beat by more than a car length, unless they are excessively mouthy trash talking teenyboppers and those are usually over in the first 5 seconds or so. Here in Florida, street racing will lose you your car, so we don't jump at every opportunity Nice to see another old fart out here, especially one driving a real muscle car (I have my 1st car, a 69 charger R/T SE in my garage-which used to play with chevelles often in the "old days")

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
I heard about that. They don't do that out here in the Evergreen State, at least, not yet. Most of my runs are from a dig too. Hell, I went 87 and 7 in the Snake before I got rid of it and revenged my losses against all but two of 'em. I've only had one run in the Brute so far but the weathers getting nicer and she's almost ready to go play again. I wish I had some of my old cars back but that's life.

Users who are viewing this thread