Walbro 400lph pumps? any good?

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
Well since my car is down for the winter I have decided to go E85 since I'm maxed out on the stock fuel system as it is. I was looking through Lethal Performance's page at there DivX twin pump hat, and noticed that they offer a walbro 400lph pump, which i know nothing about and can't seem to find anything out. I am a huge fan of the 255lph pump, but my tuner said he recommended the aeromotive 340lph pumps, but i'm not a fan of aeromotive pumps. Just wondering what everyone thinks of the new walbro pump. or if you have recommendations for a different pump, i'm all ears!

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Do not go with the Aeromotive if you plan on running E85, stick with either the DX pump or the Walbro. The Walbro pump is fairly new, but it's a high quality, reliable pump just like the rest of their products. They've also made this pump to be 100% compatible with E85. If you're looking to make big power on E85, go with the Walbro's.

rlhay2

Established Member
They've also made this pump to be 100% compatible with E85. If you're looking to make big power on E85, go with the Walbro's.

I looked around and could not find anything that stated they were E85 compatible. Could you share the source of your info?

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
I heard it just like the pumps in 06 f150 that are flex fuel, but I hoped up version of that

Robert

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Walbro 400 LPH in-tank Fuel Pump E85 Gas

If you look at the graphs found on this web site, the flow drops tremendously as pressure increases. I'm not sure what fuel pressures need to be on these cars but this don't seem like a very powerful pump.

Flow on all pumps drop as pressure goes up. Just look at the 340lph flow charts. They flow 340lph@40psi with 13.5v. At 80psi they're down to 225lph. Compare that to the 400lph walbros that flow 400lph@40psi and 285lph at 80psi. That's quite a difference.

Hope that helps.

Jared

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
Most fuel systems on E-85 use a base pressure of 50 psi and then your pressure goes up by the same about of boost you run.

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
I'm pretty sure two 255's won't cut it running e85, and they are the most reliable pumps i know of, so the walbro 400's are a good pump? does anyone have any experience running them? And now the stryker divX pumps, does anyone have any experience with them? they seem like they flow a bit more than the 255, however i'm wondering where the pumps came from, and since they are saying they are the same body as the walbro gss342 I was wondering what the difference in the pumps where??

RussZTT

Established Member
Ive heard a few good things about the new pumps. So far, those are the ones im going to run when I do my fuel system. I'd rather run 2 pumps at 100% than 3, thats just another pump to go bad under boost.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I'm pretty sure two 255's won't cut it running e85, and they are the most reliable pumps i know of, so the walbro 400's are a good pump? does anyone have any experience running them? And now the stryker divX pumps, does anyone have any experience with them? they seem like they flow a bit more than the 255, however i'm wondering where the pumps came from, and since they are saying they are the same body as the walbro gss342 I was wondering what the difference in the pumps where??

We have a lot of fuel systems out there running both the DX and Walbro 400's. Both pumps are awesome, not one failure reported. Walbro manufactures most OEM pumps out there, so there is definitely no reliability issue with the Walbros. The DX pumps are labeled under the DX name, but I do not know who they have manufacturer the pump. All I can tell you is, we've used them, and have MANY customers running them and they are working great.

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
Thanks for the information! I think i'm going to pick up the twin hat with two of the walbro 400 pumps in it. should be enought to safely run e85 on my setup with the ability to add a whipple next winter!

Emwun Garand

Established Member
We have a lot of fuel systems out there running both the DX and Walbro 400's. Both pumps are awesome, not one failure reported. Walbro manufactures most OEM pumps out there, so there is definitely no reliability issue with the Walbros. The DX pumps are labeled under the DX name, but I do not know who they have manufacturer the pump. All I can tell you is, we've used them, and have MANY customers running them and they are working great.

Does anyone at Lethal know who manufactures them? Surely someone HAS to know. I don't know many successful businesses that would distribute someone elses product without knowing who physically makes it.

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
There was a thread along time ago on DSMtalk that people were taking the pressure releif out of the 255's and making them flow alot more. I was thinking thats what these 340 pumps were until they said somthing about them being a turbine style, so could it be the 400 guts stuffed in the 255 body?? even possible? casue i had also seen that the fore hats wouldn't accept the 400 pumps??

Users who are viewing this thread