w-2 employee question

Fastboy

Established Member
Guys: I have an email from a recruiter and he is asking me if i would be interested in working as a w-2 employee. I have not heard that term very often, but more so a 1099 employee. Is there any downfalls to work as a w-2employee?

Thanks

txyaloo

Established Member
A 1099 worker is just someone who works as a contractor and usually does not receive benefits. A W-2 worker is someone who works for a company full/part time and usually receives benefits. You have to decide for yourself which you'd rather be. I personally enjoy receiving benefits (health care, vacation, etc) from my employer.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Depends how you structure your tax return. If you run a business, and file a schedule C, you can deduct work-related expenses. Under this scenario, you'd want a 1099. If you are a full-time employee getting a W-2, you usually cannot deduct expenses. Also, depending on the type of work you do, your employer (in a W-2 relationship) owns the intellectual rights to your work product. In a 1099 contractor relationship, you usually have more intellectual ownership rights to your work product (computer software, photographs, art work, inventions). If in doubt, check with an attorney.

Fastboy

Established Member
Harry- Thanks for your advice!! I am going to talk to the recruiter about it tomorrow or Monday. He emailed me about working under contract or w-2. Since my job is closing plants down I am very interested in talking to him.

Users who are viewing this thread