VP Debate: food for thought

4camV8

Established Member
it struck me last nite as i was watching Cheney debate, that if you had no idea about the issues or the respective agendas of the political parties, you might walk away thinking cheney was the man.

A particularly interesting point i thought he made was his attempt to paint edwards as an absentee senator, with his "tonite's the first time we met" comment.

I thought that was a zinger, and particularly damaging to edwards. However, it was a total lie.

From FOX NEWS!!:

On Feb. 1, 2001, the vice president thanked Edwards by name at a Senate prayer breakfast and sat beside him during the event.

On April 8, 2001, Cheney and Edwards shook hands when they met off-camera during a taping of NBC's "Meet the Press," moderator Tim Russert said Wednesday on "Today."

On Jan. 8, 2003, the two met when the first-term North Carolina senator accompanied Elizabeth Dole to her swearing-in by Cheney as a North Carolina senator, Edwards aides also said.

Just goes to show you the pitfalls inherent in political discussion. I gaurantee only a small percentage of the people that were impacted by cheney's zinger will subsequently find out he was lying, and the lasting result will be a positive one for him...

ridiculous.

slick4_6

Established Member
Originally posted by 4camV8
it struck me last nite as i was watching Cheney debate, that if you had no idea about the issues or the respective agendas of the political parties, you might walk away thinking cheney was the man.

A particularly interesting point i thought he made was his attempt to paint edwards as an absentee senator, with his "tonite's the first time we met" comment.

I thought that was a zinger, and particularly damaging to edwards. However, it was a total lie.

From FOX NEWS!!:

On Feb. 1, 2001, the vice president thanked Edwards by name at a Senate prayer breakfast and sat beside him during the event.

On April 8, 2001, Cheney and Edwards shook hands when they met off-camera during a taping of NBC's "Meet the Press," moderator Tim Russert said Wednesday on "Today."

On Jan. 8, 2003, the two met when the first-term North Carolina senator accompanied Elizabeth Dole to her swearing-in by Cheney as a North Carolina senator, Edwards aides also said.

Just goes to show you the pitfalls inherent in political discussion. I gaurantee only a small percentage of the people that were impacted by cheney's zinger will subsequently find out he was lying, and the lasting result will be a positive one for him...

ridiculous.

You must not have got the point, if you had to start 2 basically identical threads to state it.

slick4_6

Established Member
Originally posted by WIRELESS
I just have 1 question.....what was Cheney drawing on his notepad the whole time?......

Him and Edwards were having a drawing competition. After the debate they compared pictures.:rollseyes

4camV8

Established Member
Re: Re: VP Debate: food for thought

Originally posted by slick4_6
You must not have got the point, if you had to start 2 basically identical threads to state it.

The first thread identifies the manipulation of facts by BOTH candidates with virtually zero commentary by me, other than to say that everybody spins.

This one is a separate commentary on the flaws of political debate--specifically that if one does not follow up, one might be inclined to have their opinion swayed by lies--using cheney's reference to never having met edwards as an example.

Users who are viewing this thread