Vortech vs Turbo

CamCobra10

Established Member
Seeing what some of y'all think....have a 96 cobra ysi, built motor not sure how much the bottom end will hold up, 4r70w non locking trans w/transbrake...this is what I am debating on what to do, buying a fully built stroker 5.0 stroker w/blown out 03-04 cobra heads, custom cams with the ysi OR going single turbo with only a built bottom end, keeping my b heads and stage 1 blower cams, reason for single going to leave off the transbrake....I am very close to pulling the trigger on the built motor and keeping the ysi, but the more I read about turbo's hard to pass up...if money wasn't an issue I would go turbo and built motor, not trying to get into a deeper money pit than I already have, only looking for the negatives and positives before I make a decision :bash::bash:

Last edited:

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
I'm n/a and my opinion probably isn't that strong right now but I would go with a supercharger over a turbo any day. Turbos are cool but the lag kills my thoughts

Expurple

Established Member
I'll say Turbo. No belt problems and less overall stress on the engine. But if you already have a vortech then no need to spend the extra cash.

CamCobra10

Established Member
I'm n/a and my opinion probably isn't that strong right now but I would go with a supercharger over a turbo any day. Turbos are cool but the lag kills my thoughts
That's what I was thinking before I started reading up on turbos and what I've come up with is they spool up before a centri and have a harder charge throught the rpms....it doesn't take as much hp loss since its not totally running off the engine like the centri

Joyrider564

Established Member
I am a turbo fan but that ysi is no joke. Since you are already setup for it just leave it on there. Have you run it at the track on the current setup?

crazycarlo

Established Member
Depends, do you have a tubular front end of not you will have to add that cost in there. With a properly sized good quality turbo and pipe placement the lag will not be a problem and will in fact boost before the YSI.

CamCobra10

Established Member
I am a turbo fan but that ysi is no joke. Since you are already setup for it just leave it on there. Have you run it at the track on the current setup?
i haven't run it just yet, running a little lean right now and trying to find a restriction that is only letting me hit 12psi on a 3.0 pulley, make 530rwhp w/no meth or race gas

CamCobra10

Established Member
Depends, do you have a tubular front end of not you will have to add that cost in there. With a properly sized good quality turbo and pipe placement the lag will not be a problem and will in fact boost before the YSI.
been looking at a few kits, going to cost me around 7k for it all, figure i can get at least 4k for the ysi which has less than 100 miles w/the whole setup ait to air and all...

Bite u

Established Member
Turbo all the way.. More power is just the turn of a screw or knob away.. Plus it's FREE hp.. It takes no power to make power.. And as stated with the properly size turbo the spool/ lag will b almost no exsitant.. Make sure u to with a good brand turbo and a dual or triple ball bearing...

goats

Fast whitey
Established Member
You guys who think a blower is better than a turbo, you are out of your damn mind. IJS

CamCobra10

Established Member
When going with a turbo, what upgrades should I look to get and are worth the money, from what I've been reading precision makes the best turbos...as far as goals this is what i'm looking for, 750/850rwhp, its not a DD, mainly a few car local car shows and the track...I know I can get it with the ysi, and 5.0 stroker engine with 03 04 cobra race heads/cams...i'm going through all my options before I shell out my money, seeing if doing a bullitproof bottom end with turbo would make more sense...

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
When going with a turbo, what upgrades should I look to get and are worth the money, from what I've been reading precision makes the best turbos...as far as goals this is what i'm looking for, 750/850rwhp, its not a DD, mainly a few car local car shows and the track...I know I can get it with the ysi, and 5.0 stroker engine with 03 04 cobra race heads/cams...i'm going through all my options before I shell out my money, seeing if doing a bullitproof bottom end with turbo would make more sense...

if your using 03/04 heads why not go tvs/whipple/kb???

hitnrun

Established Member
Having a fully built engine and other drivetrain components would be beneficial. You don't want to put down serious power just to throw a rod or something silly a short time later. If your wallet lets it, build the engine to be bulletproof.

I know a lot of people running Percisions and love them, I have also had good luck with Garrett. Either way, I would recommend a 76mm ball bearing turbo.

Last edited:

yfz162

88mph....serious shit!!!!
Established Member
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but with a turbo set-up you will likely need an aftermarket K-member too. What does your current bottom end consist of???

I would say turbo all the way for making big steam and better 1/4 times, but the ysi/built auto combo has a ton of potential....

Users who are viewing this thread