Vortech V2-SQ Bad Bearing?

silverspec

Established Member
So I get in my car today after work - 06 GT. Car has been parked for about 8 hours. Start it up and this is what it sounds like:fm:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pfhV3q-n6Y"]Vortech V2-SQ Bad Bearing? - YouTube[/nomedia]

Car has never sounded like this before. Idle is perfect, and it runs smoothly. Bad bearing maybe??

I can check to see if the impeller is touching the cover or something, but again the car was parked the whole day.

I'm not sure as this is my first experience with forced induction so I'm not really sure what the next step is.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Next step is to remove the head unit, and send it back to vortech. I think they charge something like $800 no matter what, just a FYI. :(

eddyroxx

Established Member
yea ive read they like ripping people off
im just going to rebuild it myself for peace of mind
bearings and seals are about $200-$250

silverspec

Established Member
Next step is to remove the head unit, and send it back to vortech. I think they charge something like $800 no matter what, just a FYI. :(

Their website says a minimum of $100 to inspect. My bro had a bearing go out on his procharger about 2 years ago and it cost him about $900 to get it shipped\repaired and back. Shipping to\from Canada gets a little expensive

yea ive read they like ripping people off
im just going to rebuild it myself for peace of mind
bearings and seals are about $200-$250

Wish that was an option, but I'm not mechanically inclined enough to do the job.

It was raining all day yesterday, so I'm hoping it was just condensation or something.
Going to fire her up in about 30 minutes...keeping my fingers crossed

Last edited:

dutchrower16

Established Member
I just went through this with my 98 cobra. Pulled off the head unit and the impeller was very hard to turn. Sent the unit back to Vortech, waited a month then I get a call stating I could rebuild it for $1200 or recieve a credit for $700 and put that towards a new unit, so thats what I did. So get ready to spend some money!

Last edited:

silverspec

Established Member
Well, fired her up and the blower sounds the same.
Next step is going to be taking the car to a local shop for inspection, most likely getting the blower removed and then getting it shipped to Vortech
My plans for new wheels just went out the window :cuss:

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Their website says a minimum of $100 to inspect. My bro had a bearing go out on his procharger about 2 years ago and it cost him about $900 to get it shipped\repaired and back. Shipping to\from Canada gets a little expensive

Maybe, but they always recommend bearings and such. I've never heard of a blower going to vortech and returning for less than $800 or so.

My old ass, mid 90's S-Trim is still whining just fine. I even picked up a second one that's even older, but not knowing if it works as a backup. I figured for $450, I couldn't go wrong.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Sounds oil starved to me?? Try Superchargers rebuild website? Some name like that. I cannot vouch for his work but may be worth it?

Last edited:

silverspec

Established Member
I really don't think it's oil starved. Car has been running fine and showed no signs of any problems upto this point.
Will find out soon enough.

eddyroxx

Established Member

Wish that was an option, but I'm not mechanically inclined enough to do the job.

It was raining all day yesterday, so I'm hoping it was just condensation or something.
Going to fire her up in about 30 minutes...keeping my fingers crossed

ive never worked with a blower but after looking at some write-ups it looks like theres nothing to it
4 bearings 2 seals a couple of washers and an o-ring i bet vortech makes more money off rebuilds then they do selling blowers:lol1:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Hardest part I had with disassembling my blower was the impeller needing to be pressed off. Everything else came apart pretty easily.

eddyroxx

Established Member
thats 1 thing i havent figured out
i think i have to press both shafts out at the same time since my gears are cut at an angle (SQ)

UncleAnt

Established Member
Its a bearing for sure.it happened to mine and i had to drive it to work one day as i had no other ride at the time.on the way back home it came apart and the impeller started eating the inside of the case.sent it back to vortech 125$ insured and 3 day shipping and they called and said nothing left in it was anygood not even the case which i already knew was toast lol.it was just out of warranty but they still gave me a 1k dollar credit towards a new unit and for 900$ i picked up a new and had it back the week after i shipped it out. they were great to deal with and would never have a second though about going with them again minor rebuilds i believe are 350$ and the majors are 900$

skidad62

Established Member
It's a bad bearing for sure. I had the exact same issue. Call Vortech with your serial number and they can get you an RA number and see if you have warranty - they did mine under warranty for me)

Here was how mine sounded (just like yours) - my gearbox was shot too so they replaced that also - did an SI trim upgrade while it was apart too.

[youtube_browser]Z-Y4_0DuJ00[/youtube_browser]

silverspec

Established Member
Its a bearing for sure.it happened to mine and i had to drive it to work one day as i had no other ride at the time.on the way back home it came apart and the impeller started eating the inside of the case.sent it back to vortech 125$ insured and 3 day shipping and they called and said nothing left in it was anygood not even the case which i already knew was toast lol.it was just out of warranty but they still gave me a 1k dollar credit towards a new unit and for 900$ i picked up a new and had it back the week after i shipped it out. they were great to deal with and would never have a second though about going with them again minor rebuilds i believe are 350$ and the majors are 900$

Nice to hear they took care of the problem for you. Hopefully I get the same kind of treatment. I did see some oil around the casing after inspecting things a little closer. Also the costs that I have been hearing for rebuilds\repairs haven't been as bad as I had originally thought.
Will be calling Vortech first thing Monday morning.

silverspec

Established Member
It's a bad bearing for sure. I had the exact same issue. Call Vortech with your serial number and they can get you an RA number and see if you have warranty - they did mine under warranty for me)

Here was how mine sounded (just like yours) - my gearbox was shot too so they replaced that also - did an SI trim upgrade while it was apart too.

[youtube_browser]Z-Y4_0DuJ00[/youtube_browser]

That's exactly what mine sounds like.
Do you mind sharing how much the whole job would have cost you if you didn't upgrade to the SI trim?

Users who are viewing this thread