Vortech T trim installation on a 96 cobra

96S/Cobra

Established Member
I am in the process of installing a Vortech T trim on my 96 cobra. I am running a 2.85" 8 rib pulley on the blower. I have the blower shimed out away from the bracket 0.28" to compensate for the added thickness of the 8 rib vs. the 6 rib pulley.

My problem:

When trying to install the blower and bracket, the pulley on the blower is hitting the front face of the alternator before the bracket is back all the way against the front cover of the engine.

What are my options? Should I call the Vortech tech line and see if they gave me the wrong pulley?

If there is no pulley on the blower, then the whole blower and bracket assembly fits nicely and will bolt right up to the engine. It's just that when there is a pulley on the blower, the pulley is hitting the alternator thus not allowing everything to go back all the way against the front cover of the engine.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
in short terms I had to have my alternator notched, and no I don't think that they make a kit w/o needing to notch the alternator. I have the 8 rib kit from BGG Performance or the GI Joe kit. I hope this helps.

96S/Cobra

Established Member
in short terms I had to have my alternator notched, and no I don't think that they make a kit w/o needing to notch the alternator. I have the 8 rib kit from BGG Performance or the GI Joe kit. I hope this helps.

Holy crap, are you serious!! I just had my alternator powdercoated, and now I have to grind a notch out of it. I can't believe I didn't know this before, even after all of the searching and reading I had done about installing this on my car. Otherwise I would have had it powdercoated after I notched it for clearance.

Is there any way you would be able to take an up close pic of your Vortech pulley and your notched alternator? I just can't believe I would have to notch it 1/2", hell that would probably be back into the inner-workings of the alternator itself, not just the aluminum front cover.

Thanks for the info though :beer:

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Hey buddy I didn't have to notch it that much. I think it's like a 1/8''. I could be wrong, and I'm so sorry I can't take any pics at this time. I just got stationed in Mobile AL, and my car is in CA. If you search my screen name and threads started there are a few pics of my car maybe it'll help. I'm sorry buddy.

96S/Cobra

Established Member
Hey buddy I didn't have to notch it that much. I think it's like a 1/8''. I could be wrong, and I'm so sorry I can't take any pics at this time. I just got stationed in Mobile AL, and my car is in CA. If you search my screen name and threads started there are a few pics of my car maybe it'll help. I'm sorry buddy.

Will I appreciate the info though. I will keep at this until I figure it out. And I assume you're in the military considering your statement above, so thank you for your service!!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Will I appreciate the info though. I will keep at this until I figure it out. And I assume you're in the military considering your statement above, so thank you for your service!!

lol yes I'm Coast Guard. and you're welcome :thumbsup: BTW the pic above is exactly how mine looks :D

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
You need to grind a few of the ribs on the alternator. I just had this done. I stil have the bgg/GI Joe directions and o believe there is a pic. If there is I will scan it tomorrow and post it here.

scotty98

8 Ribs
Established Member
you would think they would tell you this when you get the kit. but i had to do the same thing with my gi joe kit. sucks about powered coating you may not be able to see it as the pulley may hide it.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread