Vortech supercharger.

ChromeSnake98

Established Member
Hey guys. I'm possibly buying a blower for my car. It's a vortech v1 si. Does anyone have any pros/cons on this setup. I want a safe system. My car only has 40k. I just want to know a little about this blower seeing as how I'm kind of new to them and I don't really want to get in over my head or blow my car up. I'm a mechanic so. I'd be doing the install myself. The kit comes with the blower, bracket, intercooler, piping (minus BOV), coolant lines and crossover, oil feed and return lines. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks guys

hitnrun

Established Member
I had a v1 on my Cobra (currently upgrading to a d1sc) and the only thing I wish I would have changed is getting a self contained super charger right off the bat. If you tap the oil pan, it can be a pain in the ass to change that if you go back n/a or a different route. You can plug the holes if done properly but that is still iffy. My blower was only putting out 5psi and it was ok, nothing extrodinary. I also HIGHLY reccomend not using their FMU or fuel pump. Get an SCT tuner (or similar product), bigger injectors (I have 42#s that I would sell you), and a bigger fuel pump (already done on your build) and call it a day.

What is your power goal (short and long term)?

ChromeSnake98

Established Member
That's helpful. My problem is I don't really know the difference between blowers. I wasn't aware this one wasn't self oiling so that's good to know. My power goals aren't crazy. I'm lookin for about 400-450 to the wheels. Like I said I'm looking for more of a safe build than crazy power.

SVTPete83

Established Member
I have a v-1 and it's maxed out. Im currently running 13 psi and making 520. It's a great head unit for a stock motor. I don't mind the oiling issue either. It just means my head unit gets fresh oil every 1500 miles or so.

ChromeSnake98

Established Member
I have a v-1 and it's maxed out. Im currently running 13 psi and making 520. It's a great head unit for a stock motor. I don't mind the oiling issue either. It just means my head unit gets fresh oil every 1500 miles or so.

That's a good point too and that's a lot of power. This ones also converted to an si trim, which if my research is correct is a better trim.

crazycarlo

Established Member
That's a great starter blower and will make good power. Your goals will deff be reached. Ditch the FMU and get 42lb injectors and an aviator pump and you will be set. Also if it's already intercooled you can go blow through if you want. Doing so puts the maf on the discharge side of the piping (after blower) and lets you vent the hot air to the atmosphere instead of re inculcate it and it sounds awesome.

hitnrun

Established Member
With a stock bottom end, 450 would be pushing the limits of your block. Just a heads up. Also, it is very easy to change the oil in a self contained model.. much easier than installing a new oil pan when you decide to go another route :)

I would recommend going with a Procharger P1sc or D1sc(the SC stands for self contained [the oiling system for the s/c]). The p1sc is a slightly smaller blower compared to the d1sc. The p1sc will get you your power goal, but may require a smaller pulley and more boost. The d1sc on the stock pulley should get you to your goal on low AND safe amounts of boost.

The one downside that I found with Procharger is their install instructions. They blow, to be put simply. Also, I would suggest buying a kit new or finding a used kit with ALL the parts. It is a huge PITA getting a kit and finding out every time you work on it, that you are missing a cruicial piece of the kit and have to buy the part through Procharger/Vortech and wait to get it to even continue with the build.

Last edited:

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
I had a v1 on my Cobra (currently upgrading to a d1sc) and the only thing I wish I would have changed is getting a self contained super charger right off the bat. If you tap the oil pan, it can be a pain in the ass to change that if you go back n/a or a different route. You can plug the holes if done properly but that is still iffy. My blower was only putting out 5psi and it was ok, nothing extrodinary. I also HIGHLY reccomend not using their FMU or fuel pump. Get an SCT tuner (or similar product), bigger injectors (I have 42#s that I would sell you), and a bigger fuel pump (already done on your build) and call it a day.

What is your power goal (short and long term)?

Why is it a pain in the ass to plug the hole you put in the oil pan? The plug will be above the oil level anyways so I don't see the problem. Are you talking about the plugs falling out?

And op, I installed an older model s trim a few months back and put down 402rwhp, or 427rwhp depending on which chart you like to go by, and that's at 10.5psi.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread