Vortech supercharger install 1999 Cobra story/tips

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Those of you interested in adding a Vortech supercharger to your 1999 Cobra might find my experience useful, well, the few of you remaining anyway as I'm a few years behind the curve on this.

I bought a Vortech V2 E-trim, bracket, discharge assembly, SCT BA2800 MAF and Anderson power pipe from a guy with a 99 Cobra for $1300. Bought 03 Cobra fuel injectors from another guy for $100. Bought a DivisionX 340 lph fuel pump from Lethal Performance. Purchased a 3.48” drive pulley and oil feed/drain lines from Superchargersonline.com.

That left me with figuring out the hardware situation. As it turns out, no hardware kit for 1999 Cobras and the 01 kit is different. Knowing 96-98 Cobras are similar I took a look at this:

96-98 Cobra hardware kit - $78
Vortech 96-98 Mustang Cobra 4.6L Mounting Bracket HARDWARE KIT [V4FK100-004] - $77.95 : SuperchargersOnline, Worlds largest Supercharger Resource. Get Serious About Power

Unfortunately the hardware kits don’t list the individual components but to verify that I would have the correct parts, I cross referenced the parts listing in the install manuals of 1999/01 Cobras with the 96-98 installation manual

99&01 Cobra Install Manuals
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/images/6.pdf

96-98 Cobra Install Manuals
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/images/7.pdf

Sure enough, all of the hardware was the same in between the 96-98 Cobras and 99 Cobras including this part which I thought came in the hardware kit:

SPACER, IDLER 4V GEN II, Part Number: 2A017-025 (Discontinued)
2A017-025 | Vortech Superchargers

Which would work with this GEN II idler pulley
Idler Pulley – 96-99 Ford Mustang Cobra (would work with discontinued spacer…) - $43
Vortech Metal Idler Pulley [V4FK116-021] - $43.00 : SuperchargersOnline, Worlds largest Supercharger Resource. Get Serious About Power

So I installed the supercharger and bracket with the hardware I had, and low and behold, the drive pulley on the supercharger does not line up with the alternator pulley.
P3270016_zpsbea3beba.jpg

Tuner says he can’t tune due to the chance of the belt slipping off or shredding.
After multiple emails back and forth with Vortech, I am told I need this “Gen III” pulley to go with the Gen III spacer I have

Actual idler pulley needed since idler spacer 2A017-025 is discontinued (note – website says it’s for 350Z) - $92
Vortech 2.5 Idler Pulley Assembly for 350z [V1210517] - $92.00 : SuperchargersOnline, Worlds largest Supercharger Resource. Get Serious About Power

“Vortech” water pump pulley, 99 Cobra and 01 Bullitt (is actually a Ford part, just a smooth rounded pulley about 6” in diameter, so buy that from somewhere else cheaper) - $69
Vortech Water Pump Pulley for 1999 Ford Cobra & 2001 Bullitt [V4FK016-081] - $69.00 : SuperchargersOnline, Worlds largest Supercharger Resource. Get Serious About Power

After all this I also need to deal with the intake air temperature sensor. The stock sensor plugs into the intake pipe and is secured by a rubber grommet. We decide to bypass this method. I buy a IAT sensor for a Ford Lightning - Amazon.com: Motorcraft DY-1159 Intake Air Charge Temperature Sensor: Automotive and my buddy who does tool and die makes a threaded bung for the sensor. I then get a local welder to weld the bung to the Vortech discharge pipe.

So I finally get the new pulley idler pulley installed and now the supercharger pulley is hitting alternator. So we shim that out to line up and I’m off to the tuner the next day. Tuner makes a dyno pull – 381 hp at 6.6 lbs of boost and a 10.0 A/F ratio. He leans it out to 11.8 and the car makes 411/376 at 6.8 lbs of boost and then 415 on a follow up run, good enough for a non-intercooled setup on a stock bottom end. He doesn’t like what the DivisionX fuel pump from Lethal is doing though. It is good enough for now, but it is spiking the fuel pressure too high at WOT and he’s worried about blowing out the sensor on the fuel rail. So now I have to change out the fuel pump again.

Here is the dyno graph –
Dynograph_zpscf7b3be1.jpg

Overall, I'm happy with the result. Car feels much stronger now, especially above 3500 rpm. I know there is a lot left on the table though as the car will pull timing to compensate for higher intake temps when hot out, but that will be addressed at a later time. Anyhow, that’s the journey so far for me, I will update with developments as I change out the fuel pump and add an intercooler/smaller pulley later.

Last edited:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Those of you interested in adding a Vortech supercharger to your 1999 Cobra might find my experience useful, well, the few of you remaining anyway as I'm a few years behind the curve on this.

I bought a Vortech V2 E-trim, bracket, discharge assembly, SCT BA2800 MAF and Anderson power pipe from a guy with a 99 Cobra for $1300. Bought 03 Cobra fuel injectors from another guy for $100. Bought a DivisionX 340 lph fuel pump from Lethal Performance. Purchased a 3.48” drive pulley and oil feed/drain lines from Superchargersonline.com.

That left me with figuring out the hardware situation. As it turns out, no hardware kit for 1999 Cobras and the 01 kit is different. Knowing 96-98 Cobras are similar I took a look at this:

96-98 Cobra hardware kit - $78
Vortech 96-98 Mustang Cobra 4.6L Mounting Bracket HARDWARE KIT [V4FK100-004] - $77.95 : SuperchargersOnline, Worlds largest Supercharger Resource. Get Serious About Power

Unfortunately the hardware kits don’t list the individual components but to verify that I would have the correct parts, I cross referenced the parts listing in the install manuals of 1999/01 Cobras with the 96-98 installation manual

99&01 Cobra Install Manuals
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/images/6.pdf

96-98 Cobra Install Manuals
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/images/7.pdf
Sure enough, all of the hardware was the same in between the 96-98 Cobras and 99 Cobras including this part which came in the hardware kit:

SPACER, IDLER 4V GEN II, Part Number: 2A017-025 (Discontinued)
2A017-025 | Vortech Superchargers

Which would work with this GEN II idler pulley
Idler Pulley – 96-99 Ford Mustang Cobra (would work with discontinued spacer…) - $43
Vortech Metal Idler Pulley [V4FK116-021] - $43.00 : SuperchargersOnline, Worlds largest Supercharger Resource. Get Serious About Power

So I installed the supercharger and bracket with the hardware I had, and low and behold, the drive pulley on the supercharger does not line up with the alternator pulley.
P3270016_zpsbea3beba.jpg

Tuner says he can’t tune due to the chance of the belt slipping off or shredding.
After multiple emails back and forth with Vortech, I am told I need this “Gen III” pulley to go with the Gen III spacer I have

Actual idler pulley needed since idler spacer 2A017-025 is discontinued (note – website says it’s for 350Z) - $92
Vortech 2.5 Idler Pulley Assembly for 350z [V1210517] - $92.00 : SuperchargersOnline, Worlds largest Supercharger Resource. Get Serious About Power

“Vortech” water pump pulley, 99 Cobra and 01 Bullitt (is actually a Ford part, just a smooth rounded pulley about 6” in diameter, so buy that from somewhere else cheaper) - $69
Vortech Water Pump Pulley for 1999 Ford Cobra & 2001 Bullitt [V4FK016-081] - $69.00 : SuperchargersOnline, Worlds largest Supercharger Resource. Get Serious About Power

After all this I also need to deal with the intake air temperature sensor. The stock sensor plugs into the intake pipe and is secured by a rubber grommet. We decide to bypass this method. I buy a IAT sensor for a Ford Lightning - Amazon.com: Motorcraft DY-1159 Intake Air Charge Temperature Sensor: Automotive and my buddy who does tool and die makes a threaded bung for the sensor. I then get a local welder to weld the bung to the Vortech discharge pipe.

So I finally get the new pulley idler pulley installed and now the supercharger pulley is hitting alternator. So we shim that out to line up and I’m off to the tuner the next day. Tuner makes a dyno pull – 381 hp at 6.6 lbs of boost and a 10.0 A/F ratio. He leans it out to 11.8 and the car makes 411/376 at 6.8 lbs of boost and then 415 on a follow up run, good enough for a non-intercooled setup on a stock bottom end. He doesn’t like what the DivisionX fuel pump from Lethal is doing though. It is good enough for now, but it is spiking the fuel pressure too high at WOT and he’s worried about blowing out the sensor on the fuel rail. So now I have to change out the fuel pump again.

Here is the dyno graph –
Dynograph_zpscf7b3be1.jpg

Overall, I'm happy with the result. Car feels much stronger now, especially above 3500 rpm. I know there is a lot left on the table though as the car will pull timing to compensate for higher intake temps when hot out, but that will be addressed at a later time. Anyhow, that’s the journey so far for me, I will update with developments as I change out the fuel pump and add an intercooler/smaller pulley later.

Just to add to your story. I could not get the Division X 340LPH pump to work in my 99 Returnless system.

It worked for a few days then quit.

I figured a bad pump so Lethal sent a second one...That worked for 2 weeks then quit.

I went with the BBK 300lph complete fuel hat and basket switch. Has worked so far...

Others claim the Divion x 340 works in returnless..hell the Lethal website says so...I could not get it to keep working

MrSteve

Established Member
Cool man, I'm going almost the exact same route. Except fuel wise I have an 03 cobra tank/pumps and injectors.

Still looking for a V-1 or V2 head unit, I believe you just helped me identify the rest of what I need too.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Just to add to your story. I could not get the Division X 340LPH pump to work in my 99 Returnless system.

It worked for a few days then quit.

I figured a bad pump so Lethal sent a second one...That worked for 2 weeks then quit.

I went with the BBK 300lph complete fuel hat and basket switch. Has worked so far...

Others claim the Divion x 340 works in returnless..hell the Lethal website says so...I could not get it to keep working

Ya, my tuner was not impressed with it, he says it's not for a returnless system even though Lethal specifically says it is. He wants me to buy a Ford supercar pump and voltage booster. Mine has been installed since April but was on an NA car until a week ago, hopefully it holds out for a while.

Cool man, I'm going almost the exact same route. Except fuel wise I have an 03 cobra tank/pumps and injectors.

Still looking for a V-1 or V2 head unit, I believe you just helped me identify the rest of what I need too.

Glad I can help out. If you need help with any parts/install questions, shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to answer any questions I can.

Last edited:

ddeem

Established Member
I am building a similar system with a Vortech V2 E-Trim, Procharger 3 core intercooler, 47LB injectors, etc. I am disappointed to hear that the Division X fuel pump is not working for you guys. I thought this was my best route after reading some threads of people pushing up to 500wrhp with them. Did you connect the pump right to the hat with the 1 foot of hose? Also, did you drill out the pump can so that fuel can get in? It is so frustrating that there is no easy fix for the fuel system on these cars. That is my biggest concern now... I don't want to spend a grand on all of the fuel stuff for only 475wrhp...

Also, one final question. The horsepower seems accurate for the low amount of boost you are putting down. Shouldn't you have more boost with that 3.48 pulley and no intercooler? I thought you would be at around 8 to 10 lbs??

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I had to grind the alternator case a bit for the head unit pulley to clear, this is common.
If you guys did an Aviator/Focus/GT pump,60lb injectors,20 amp BAP,and 8 gauge from the battery back to a 40 amp relay powering the fpdm you'll support 475.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I am building a similar system with a Vortech V2 E-Trim, Procharger 3 core intercooler, 47LB injectors, etc. I am disappointed to hear that the Division X fuel pump is not working for you guys. I thought this was my best route after reading some threads of people pushing up to 500wrhp with them. Did you connect the pump right to the hat with the 1 foot of hose? Also, did you drill out the pump can so that fuel can get in? It is so frustrating that there is no easy fix for the fuel system on these cars. That is my biggest concern now... I don't want to spend a grand on all of the fuel stuff for only 475wrhp...

Also, one final question. The horsepower seems accurate for the low amount of boost you are putting down. Shouldn't you have more boost with that 3.48 pulley and no intercooler? I thought you would be at around 8 to 10 lbs??

I never did that. Drill the pump or basket? I have heard(Maybe 5.0 Mustang magazine?) that the 340lph pump sucks fuel out of the basket too quickly.

I went with the BBK and BAP... so far seems ok but honestly have only put about 600 miles max on it...

RX1Cobra

Established Member

I think the easy route is just an 03 tank and pumps. That's what I did. Easy swap and can support about 500 at the wheels. After that you need to upgrade the pumps add a boost a pump or both.

ddeem

Established Member
Most of the articles I have read on the Division X 340 pump mention drilling out the bottom or front of the basket. If not, the pump can have problems or run dry. Just a couple (I think 3/8th) holes to provide more fuel. Also, many recommend to run the submersible hose right from the pump to the hat.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I think the easy route is just an 03 tank and pumps. That's what I did. Easy swap and can support about 500 at the wheels. After that you need to upgrade the pumps add a boost a pump or both.

If my BBK hat does not work that is my next move...

Most of the articles I have read on the Division X 340 pump mention drilling out the bottom or front of the basket. If not, the pump can have problems or run dry. Just a couple (I think 3/8th) holes to provide more fuel. Also, many recommend to run the submersible hose right from the pump to the hat.

Interesting....too late for me to try but I would be interested to see how others are doing with that fix

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

I didn't drill the basket, wish I would have as my tuner told me to do that also. I didn't know about that trick at the time of install. I had another guy helping with the install and we just swapped the new pump in for the stock pump after we trimmed the lid.

As far as boost, the 3.48" is the pulley size that the kit originally came with and they don't specify the boost level but they do claim that the kit increases power from 320 to 464 - Mustang Vortech Supercharger System - Satin (99 Cobra) 4FR218-010L - Free Shipping!
So if you take the 415 it put down and divide by .85 you get 488. Considering my car also has LT headers, the power level seems spot on for the kit. I would bet the same pulley and supercharger would provide 8-9 lbs of boost on a 2V though since the heads don't flow nearly as well as the 4V heads.

I thought about going with a 3.33" pulley but I also want to keep the motor intact until I can afford to build it, so I went with the pulley originally included in the kit.

Last edited:

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Going off of memory, didn't the '99 cobras get recalled for upper intake, idler pulley, exhaust system and tune from Ford.

Don't know if any of this would be relevant.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
What made you you go with the 350z pulleys an what fuel pumps did you also go with

I had to get the idler pulley that is labeled for a 350Z because Vortech discontinued the spacer that was required to work with the Cobra pulley. As you can see from the pic above, when I attempted to use the Cobra idler pulley with the wrong spacer, the pulleys didn't align.

As it turns out the 350Z pulley works with the updated spacer. I didn't believe them at first but it worked out.

In spring I am installing a Ford Supercar pump and KB 20A BAP.

Going off of memory, didn't the '99 cobras get recalled for upper intake, idler pulley, exhaust system and tune from Ford.

Don't know if any of this would be relevant.

You are correct that Ford recalled the 99 Cobras due to low power output, but it didn't matter with the supercharger install.

Mach828

Established Member
Just wanted to say that the division x 340 works great with my returnless setup. Running 50# of fuel pressure, and it stays consistent all the way to redline.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Just wanted to say that the division x 340 works great with my returnless setup. Running 50# of fuel pressure, and it stays consistent all the way to redline.

Wow, I wish it were the case for me. My tuner hated it and despite Lethal saying it was a turbine style pump made for returnless fuel systems, he didn't believe it and said it wasn't meant to be duty cycled. He said it's spiking the fuel pressure and going to blow out the fuel rail pressure sensor.

I like your setup, do you have more pics of the intercooler install? What piping kit did you use and which model number treadstone intercooler? What MAF are you running and where is it mounted?

Thanks for any help, it seems like there aren't a whole lot of guys running an A2A intercooler with a Vortech so it's hard to get straight answers on install questions.

Users who are viewing this thread