Vortech questions?

nyerpp

Established Member
Hey all,

I am looking to add some unnatural aspiration to my 5spd 2002 GT soming up in the early summer when my bumper to bumper warranty expires. I am looking for people to tell me about their experiences with installing an S-trim SQ on their cars. Any problems you had, how do you like the kit, how is Vortech's customer support, I am basically looking for your whole story.

Did you guys have any problems with the returnless fuel system that Mustangs currently employ?

When you sent your EEC-V module into Vortech for repgramming what was your turn around time, and did the drivability of your car change at all?

On a stock car what kind of RWHP and RWTQ were you guys putting down before and after the install? I know my car should be 230-235'ish and 270-275'ish stock and 300'ish and 350'ish after a standard kit with 8# of boost.

Did any of you guys opt for a the aftercooler, is it worth the extra 2 bills or so for 40 Bhp?

Any input would be greatly appreciated,

Mike :shrug:

juiced96snake

BOSS 2511
Established Member
well I recently installed a vortech S-trim in my 96 cobra and I opted not to install the FMU or T-rex pump as these arent the safest way to go. With that said install was really easy hardest parts were bending the A/C line and punching and taping the oil pan. To make up for not installing the fmu and t rex I installed 42# injectors, 90mm lightning mass air and a walbro 255lph pump. If you want to go my route look into a tuner kit which doesnt come with fmu, t-rex or chip. I didnt send in the ECU as I couldnt afford the down time. The kit came with a ticket to send in the ecu which you would overnight to them then wait for a 3-4 day turn around it said. I went with the rather new SCT chip which can store up to 4 programs. I dont have a aftercooled unit and I put down 396hp with a rich A/F of 10.5:1 on 7.5#'s of boost, however before we could get the curve cleaned up an electrical short appeared and fried my ecu. So right now my car is still waiting on the ecu. I did get to drive the car for a week on a safe tune that was on the chip i got from the tuner. I did run into someproblems with a vac leak around the IAT just read the sticky in this forum to fix that. You must put the IAT after the blower not before like the kit wants you too. To plug the hole I got a oil pan bolt from the help section and some blue gasket sealant and plugged it up. An aftercooler is a good thing if you can afford it it helps cool down the air out of blower and keeps detonation down at higher boost levels. If you have a stock bottom end you wont want to go much more than 8lbs of boost. I didnt get the aftercooler cause I want to go with a front mount intercooler from sperco as I have read that the aftercooler on the street loses its ablity to reduce heat after about ten mins of driving. But it is good for the strip though.

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
Overall the Vortech isn't a bad buy but definitely DON'T go the FMU route. It's like a cheap bandaid for the fuel system. I've got the 8:1 that came with the kit and idle quality is horrid, and my a/f curve looks like a cutaway view of the Himalayas. It accumulated about 9000 miles before it started chewing itself up, shipped it off for a rebuild, then started leaking oil less than 1500 miles after the rebuild. I'm not going to tell anyone to stay away from S trims as I know there's many many happy customers with them. Mine is doing ok for the time being, but it's days are numbered. Personally, I'm never buying anything from Vortech again. Ever.

Just get a Procharger!

juiced96snake

BOSS 2511
Established Member
Kovachian said:
Just get a Procharger!
I have heard the same stories about the procharger. With it busting seals and spewing oil into the intake and making on hell of mess. So I guess no matter what route you go you are taking a chance. But thats is why these things come with warranties. I know the vortech has a three year as long as you dont remove the orginal pulley. Not sure about that procharger.

nyerpp

Established Member
Thanks for the response guys, I know people that can tell horror stories for just about any performance manufacturer. I've done my research and as the saying goes "safety is in numbers". I know other blower makers will advertise more power, but 20-30 BHP is not a big deal to me, I am looking for reliability and drivability and the Vortech seems to offer both in spades.

Regards,

Mike

Black Stallion4

Established Member
I recently installed a Vortech V2 SQ on my 2000 GT Convertible. The instructions that you download off their site are perfect for doing the job. I had the whole thing done in about ten hours. Get a tuner kit, that way you can pick and choose what other components you want, rather than Vortech stuff. I went with a tuner kit, 42#Injectors, 90 MM maf, SVT Focus fuel pump, SCT custom tune. The only thing that seemed tricky on the install was the oil drain, which required tapping the oil pan, ended up being pretty easy though. If you need any help, pm me, I can tell you that if you have the premium package GT, the alternator may need to be ground down like mine to prevent the pulley rubbing on it. The premium package GT has a slightly bulkier alternator. I also have a web site that you may want to check out, for some parts, hint, hint.

735987_3_full.jpg

735987_4_full.jpg

juiced96snake

BOSS 2511
Established Member
Black Stallion4 said:
I recently installed a Vortech V2 SQ on my 2000 GT Convertible. The instructions that you download off their site are perfect for doing the job. I had the whole thing done in about ten hours. Get a tuner kit, that way you can pick and choose what other components you want, rather than Vortech stuff. I went with a tuner kit, 42#Injectors, 90 MM maf, SVT Focus fuel pump, SCT custom tune. The only thing that seemed tricky on the install was the oil drain, which required tapping the oil pan, ended up being pretty easy though. If you need any help, pm me, I can tell you that if you have the premium package GT, the alternator may need to be ground down like mine to prevent the pulley rubbing on it. The premium package GT has a slightly bulkier alternator. I also have a web site that you may want to check out, for some parts, hint, hint.
The tuner kit is the better route I agree. Wish I would have known about the tuner kits. Cause I ditched the FMU, T-rex and The computer chip ticket. I went with the same as black stallion: 42# injectors, 90mm MAF, walbro 255(returnless I would go svt focus pumps like stallion), and I went with a SCT 4 bank chip. Make sure before you start the upgrade to find without a doubt good tuner. I cant stress this enough. My tuner cooked my motor and they are now looking at a law suit (left fan unplugged???and somehow didnt notice the temp gauge going to the moon). But I had a good tune and safe A/F (flat A/F ratio) and close to 400hp off of 7psi. That is untill it cooked the piston rings from overheating but that was the tuners fault not the blowers.

00_blkgt

Established Member
www.modularpowerhouse.com has a good tuner kit for the vortech and the novi. Tim (the owner) is also an exceptionally talented tuner with his own dyno in the shop. If I get any s/c I will definitely take it straight to him to tune for the drivability and reliability factors.

SVTHorsnake

Banned
I liked my SQ, just make sure you don't take any short cuts with the oil lines, use the right lines and install them the exact way and procedure the manual says to...

Users who are viewing this thread